animates cooks beardies

sneaky2

all you breeders out there think twice about supplying any animates branches,in there infinate wisdom they had coastal beardies at 37deg with no water!some bright spark at head office was told that at this time of year,when kept outside,they need no food or water as they are brumating.true but the really stupid thing they did was put this info together with inland beardie inside care sheet and came up with 37deg no food or water.this info is made protocol and passed down to all branches hey presto cooked beardies. :facepalm: some one in head office should be fired :an!gry i guess thats what happens when you have a corporation involved with live stock.

I think that someone needs to keep calling the SPCA, enough complaints will see enforcement's, bad rep And loss in sales = change in attitude. Waite until the heads see loose of turnover then there will be a clash of heads

• 3 months later...

Hi, I know this is quite an old thread but thought I would still put my 2 cents in.....

I used to work at Animates and had baby Bearded Dragons..... the breeder that supplied them told us not to put a bowl of water in the tank as the dragon was too small and he had seen them drown. So instead we had a water bottle to spray them with a mist of water throughout the day and would make sure the driftwood had good little puddles of water for them to drink. Once they got older/bigger they would get water in a dish.

We had a staff members that had dragons personally and would regularly follow the advice given from them in regards to food and water etc

I had never been up that close to a bearded dragon before and was fascinated by them so was learning everything I could to make sure I was careing for them correctly.

I think its great that you all care so much about the welfare of animals in pet stores, but sometimes what you see with your eyes is not the whole story. I know that I always took great care when interacting with the animals and was first to admit when I was out of my depth and would always ask for advice or do my own research at home on ways I could improve things.... even for the rats and mice (which gave me the hebejebes).

I know I can only speak from the individual store I worked in and it has been a couple of years since I was there. I would be very disappointed if the standards had slipped so much.

I looked after our beardies when i was at henderson, im no super expert but do know how to look after them, on a few occaisions where we have been 'audited' by our region manager at periodic intervals, we have been marked down on aspects such as beardie enclosure temps not being what head office dictates them to be - despite protests and reasoning from someone who knows more than they do.

Bad enough when the staff dont have a clue, worse when a knowledgable staff member is told they are wrong by someone sitting behind a desk in head office.