Superworms: I dont understand y its illegal

henward

Itwould be absolutely awesome to have this here, legal.

I wonder what the rationale is

can this species even survive in the NZ wild?

i believe its too moist here, too cold for them to even at all explode in population let alone breed in the nz natural climates here.

anyway, im struggling to find freeze dried superworms even!

anyone know a source?

Itwould be absolutely awesome to have this here, legal.

I wonder what the rationale is

can this species even survive in the NZ wild?

i believe its too moist here, too cold for them to even at all explode in population let alone breed in the nz natural climates here.

anyway, im struggling to find freeze dried superworms even!

anyone know a source?

Probably the same as most of the fish that are illegal, there is no real reason for it, it is just how it is..

because you have to get a new genus on the approved list, then how do you import them? do they need to be quarantined for disease?

so it wont necessarily be declined?

how do you get a new genus on 'the approved list'?

Quaranteen and import wouldnt be that hard, follow the red tape :sml2: . I suspect getting them approved, in the first place, will be the challenging bit.

mealworms must have been imported back in the day, or just shown up here... i wonder if any new stock has been imported over the past 10 years or so.

so it wont necessarily be declined?

how do you get a new genus on 'the approved list'?

Quaranteen and import wouldnt be that hard, follow the red tape :sml2: . I suspect getting them approved, in the first place, will be the challenging bit.

mealworms must have been imported back in the day, or just shown up here... i wonder if any new stock has been imported over the past 10 years or so.

It would be expensive and to get MAF to create a IHS would not be a priority for them so it may take years if its approved

would be interesting to know exactly what is involved.

bringing in new feeders could put me out of biz though. so im not in any hurry :sml2:

in reality nor could i afford to pursue it atm, other priorities :facepalm:

wireworms - if referring to the big native darkling bettle/mealworm. i attempted to breed some once. lived for many months but no young.

surely you would have the market cornered if you were the only breeder/original importer? at least for a little while;)

wireworms.. just like so many animals in nz they may be slow breeders, like cicadas which i think take years to complete there lifecycle!

i thought they were a 10 to 15mm more rounded beetle found in large numbers under bark, logs.. . more of a chaffer beetle shape. but that seems to be the false wireworm.

seems there might be a nich in the market, assuming there nutritionally similar to superworms and not harmfull to pets etc