Light Levels, And Can I Upgrade

amtiskaw

Hiya

I have a planted community tank that I'm about to add pressurised CO2 to. My current lighting is apparently on the low side:

4 * 18 = 72 watts T8 lighting

53 X 48 X 148 = ~378 litres (measured from substrate surface, not accounting for plants and wood)

378 liters = ~100 US gallons

0.72 watts per gallon

I've been reading the Barr Report site, and am going to give EI a go. Tom seems OK with light being the limiting factor, but would 0.72 wpg be too limiting?

If I do want to upgrade, is it as easy as buying gruntier ballasts and tubes?

I'd rather stay with T8 as my hood has a nifty waterproofing system. What I was asking was, can I upgrade to a higher wattage T8 ballast and tubes? Or is the tube wattage a function of length?

If that's the case, is there a T5 solution that can stand condensation on the tubes? i.e the terminals are sealed? My T8s have an O ring sealed fitting that makes them fairly water resistant, so they can operate inside a sealed hood - no condensation on the windows :)

If you're ok replacing the ballasts and mounts you can also get waterproof t5 fittings that sound the same as what you've got.

Also - you are right - T8s power ratings are based on length only. T5s come in standard and High Output modes. T5HO would be a great upgrade if you're happy to do it.

• 2 weeks later...