Cloudy water

fishgirl53

Hi what is the best way to get rid of very cloudy water should I do daily small water changes or not do any for at least a week or more it has been cloudy now for 5 days and getting worst my water ammonia nitrate etc is perfect I am not over stocked I may have been feeding to much but not for the last 4 days when I noticed it getting cloudy I am running an eheim filter and 3 air stones I did make the mistake of putting in wool pads and have since found out the Eiheim runs on Ehfisubstrat only so I took out the wool pads and since then I started to get the cloudy water I did wash the ehfisubstrat and am guessing I should not have maybe I have upset the filtering system any help much appreciated thank you forgot to say I have put in a small bag of carbon in my filter It has been there for around 10 days could that be the problem

Eheim does use wool pads, atleast mine does and all other new eheim filters. Without it it would be pretty hard to catch any particles floating in the water, also you should only wash the filter media with fishtank water to avoid killing the good bacteria. If I were you I would put a sponge/wool pad back in the filter and do a 30% water change

Yes two large ones and a small one I am still learning so have I done the wrong thing also my instruction book for the Eheim says only use Ehfisubstrat do not use cotton wadding filter pads plastic media ceramic lava or peat I was also told by someone else not to use filter pads who's right and who is wrong

OK, I'll keep it simple and bullet-point it for you lol.

1. Take out the carbon - leaving it in won't help and you don't need it anyway.

2. Put the wool IN - the substrate is meant to catch the dirt particles but it won't catch smaller particles that wool can, I highly doubt if it will affect your filter's performance (maybe someone can confirm this?)

3. Continue light feeding and do a 20-30% WEEKLY water change, keep checking your water quality in case the ammonia spikes, in which case, stop feeding.

Possibilities:

1. If it's dust from the substrate in your filter, the wool will trap most of it for you.

2. If you crashed your bacterial colony (hope you didn't!), then the bacteria is dying and re-growing repeatedly (tank cycling back to square one). Small daily water changes will get rid of the ammonia which is good for the short term, but ultimately you want to get the bacteria up and running again, so just do a weekly water change so that the bacteria can develop. Minimising the feeding when your ammonia spike is getting dangerous will be better for your fish - they are fine without daily feeding.

Question:

1. What kind of fish do you have? How many?

I have the Eheim 2329 professional and that is what it says in the book but since I have taken out the pads the water is getting more and more cloudy will it hurt the fish where can I get which I have googled Ehfisynth filter pads

It might be a case of the substrate dust being recirculated in the water.. Try putting the pads you took out back in and leave it for tonight - if it is dust most of it should clear by the morning. I don't think your fish will be too affected by the cloudy water as long as your water is good, it's more unsightly than anything.

OK guys I want to thank you all for the input you have helped me a lot I now have Two filter pads in my Eheim and hope by tomorrow morning there will be a difference

I also got a phosphate filter pad should I put that in too or not don't have an algy bloom just thought It might help clean things up quicker