do you like American Cichlid as I do

wee2

hi all,

I am quite intereted at American Cichlid, stocky, solid and aggressive. it is a big joy of watching them chasing and bullying over each other. I am collecting all sorts of American Cichlid which can possibly grow big. now my collection includs: :digH:

red headed cichlid

texas

flowerhorn

jack dempsey

Green terror

severum

albino oscar

convicts

midas

I have put my order thru for some Jag and chocolate. also will get some Uaru eventually. is there any other cichlid that you could think of, or you know anyone breed bizare cichlid. I heard there are some feastas/red terror or salvini around. is there anyone breeding them or unwanted for sale. that will be so awesome. pm me :sml1:

Salvinis are easy enough to get, festae you may have to look a bit harder. Watch the different temperments too, Uaru are not usually considered to be as agressive as the spp you have already and may be picked on, having said that i had a very feisty one once!

hi all,

red headed cichlid

texas

flowerhorn

jack dempsey

Green terror

severum

albino oscar

convicts

midas

I have put my order thru for some Jag and chocolate.

Did you get a midas in the end? And who has jags? Take me to your dealer! :D

Festae are out there and on the increase in numbers..... 8)

Wouldn't recommend mixing fish like severums and uaru with large aggressive central/south americans like the ones you mentioned, it can work some times but could easily lead to trouble depending on tank size and the fish involved.

You've basically listed everything we get here, with a few exceptions; Cuban cichlids (Nandopsis tetracanthus) are on the list but I have only ever seen one here in person, Herichthys cyanoguttatus (true texas cichlid) is also on the list but I've never seen or heard of them here (and most people don't seem to know the difference between them and H. carpintis anyway), and Parachromis friedrichsthalii is another thats on the list but not imported. Apparently trimacs were imported back in the pre-flowerhorn days but aren't on the list, and there's a good chance that the surviving ones have been mistaken for and crossed with flowerhorns.

Did you get a midas in the end? And who has jags? Take me to your dealer! :D

Yes I got 4 from the guy in Auckland. Beautiful tiny attracters haven't shown colour yet, still in breeder tank, but gonna be nice exhibits in my future monster tank I believe.

Ok I will take you to him. I will proberbly see you at the end of May. my shop will be sold by then

Festae are out there and on the increase in numbers..... 8)

Wouldn't recommend mixing fish like severums and uaru with large aggressive central/south americans like the ones you mentioned, it can work some times but could easily lead to trouble depending on tank size and the fish involved.

You've basically listed everything we get here, with a few exceptions; Cuban cichlids (Nandopsis tetracanthus) are on the list but I have only ever seen one here in person, Herichthys cyanoguttatus (true texas cichlid) is also on the list but I've never seen or heard of them here (and most people don't seem to know the difference between them and H. carpintis anyway), and Parachromis friedrichsthalii is another thats on the list but not imported. Apparently trimacs were imported back in the pre-flowerhorn days but aren't on the list, and there's a good chance that the surviving ones have been mistaken for and crossed with flowerhorns.

hi david, good to hear from you and thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience here with us. you got a very nice tank, man. love those Geophegus. I have been to Jacks heard you got ten Midas, good on you mate. cannot wait to see them in your tank.

forgot to mention that I have a mild-aggressive set up with:

Angels

Gourami

T-bar

Keyhole

Albino Oscar

Firemouth

Geophagus

Chocolate

Uaru

from your advise, I will eventually add Severum in this aquarium. they are stated in a 240L tank at the moment.

I got these spicies base on what I have seen from pet shops, breeders as well as Trade me. I haven't listed Cuban unfortunitley, but would like to add it into my collecting list. I am not so sure about how to tell the differences between carpintis and cyanoguttatus. I got them from a breeder at the Garden. they are extremly growing fast. got them when they were fry 2/3 monthes ago. Now they are about 12cm. Parachromis friedrichsthalii ???... :dunno: yeh, apparently my one is Trimac, you know, no doubt got them from Taranaki. doesnt look as beautiful as I was expecting.

your advises are always welcome in my topic. by the way, if you know anyone doing some nice cichlids, keep me informed. cheers

I am not so sure about how to tell the differences between carpintis and cyanoguttatus. I got them from a breeder at the Garden.

Carpintis have much larger blue spots.

carpintis:

http://www.portcityunderground.com/pcuimages/fish/lahillas.jpg

cyanoguttatus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/centavo/2532601802/in/set-72157605312951329

Prime example of why don't like common names, people google "texas cichlid" and get pics of both and don't learn there is a difference.....

Sounds like you've got some good fish already, would love to see pics!