Baby bettas found!

absynthe

I was just cleaning my opaque celophane's small tank after 3 unsuccessful attempts to spawn (first on xmas day - my male ate all of the bubs as soon as they hatched. 2nd try - empty death rolls so gave female a week or so to recover, 3rd try she released the eggs with no fertilization.) I took out the plants and started vaccuming out the crap when I spotted a tiny baby! at first I thought it was dead but when dad came near it darted away. I then found 2 more babies, one a lot smaller than the other 2 (biggest including tail is 5mm). I have no idea how they could have survived the first spawning as I did a complete clean after that...?? I'm fairly baffled!!! plus I havent been feeding them as I didnt know they existed, and the water was pretty bad! Can someone tell me how fast they grow and how big they should be at certain times, maybe I can work out how old they are? thanks in advance!

I've separated the male with hurricane glass as I have no where else to move him. the babies seem to have perked up since the water change.. how often should I change the water, and what is the best temp to keep the water at? its at 28deg c at the mo. cheers for the tips

Ok. um.

You probably want to do a 25% water change twice a week to start with, with small siphons using an airline tube as often as possible (daily?) to remove uneaten food and crap on the bottom of the tank. (I hope your tank has no substrate....)

I wish I could say I was doing the same with my baby bettas, but with my wife in hospital I am neglecting them rather badly :(

• 2 weeks later...

do u have a filter in the tank? I found that with raising my babies that having a sponge filter was great at keeping the water cleaner and then you really only need to do the water changes once a week (topping up as required)

do u have the BBS etc to feed the babies? if not the liquid fry is good but if using this then i would definitely recommend using a filter (as above)

each fry is different in regards to the growth - just like normal kids really

i have already sold off some of my fry at age of 4mth and still have some that wont sell for a while yet as they are still really small - all from the same spawn.

anyways, congrats on the babies - its always fun finding you have more than u thought esp if ur thoughts were running at the nil stage.

The bubs are growing really well, two are 1cm now (incl tail) and are starting to show the first signs of colour. the father is a light cream/apricot so I'm not worried if the colour doesnt pick up! I just aquired two crowntail cream females..will attempt a spawn with the cream veiltail when I get back from oz.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...