D'oh! (A Public Service Announcement)

ally07

Well, I did it again.. I think I crashed some of my bacteria colony yesterday during a water change. &c:ry I normally do 50% weekly and top it up from the hose which is fine during summer but I keep forgetting that it's getting colder. :facepalm: My self-denial has resulted in too great a temperature change which bacteria obviously do not like. Take heed to my words, fellow fish keepers and don't repeat my mistake haha.. Smaller water changes over winter will prevent an ammonia spike.

Anyway, measures have been put in place. Specifically, feeding has been suspended and 10% water changes are being done daily. I'm glad that the ammonia only spiked to 1.0 instead of an 8.0! :o

Wait...the good bacteria doesn't like cold water?, so how does it work in say a goldfish tank?

We've just left our external and all the media from the trickle filter working in a bucket under the porch, while I get around to repairing the tank, but all the bacteria will have died anyway and we'll have to cycle the tank again?

I would suspect that it was (more) chlorine in the water that killed some of the bacteria in the filter.

Carlos & Siran, are you feeding the bacteria in the filters under the porch, without food they will die and will then need cycling or other [live] media added

I think I read somewhere a while ago that temperature changes can kill off the bacteria.. So if the water in the tank is 25 deg, adding too much colder water will cause a sudden drop, thereby killing the bacteria. I usually do 40-50% without any problems during summer, so my suspicion is that it was the water temperature change.

We might be alright then as we filled the bucket with warm water and let it cool naturally.

Might be even better if you added some fish food into the buckets just to let it rot and feed the bacteria.. Definitely cheaper than Stresszyme!