Ideas for Tanks

Modern Angl

Right, after much discussion with my Better Half about what I want to get aquarium wise, I have a long term plan along of something like this, time and money isn't an issue atm...

Tank 1 - Community tank, looking at getting a 122Lx45Wx61D tank(330l ish) as a starter. Will be asking questions galore as I set this up, def. want to do this right first time. Once I have that all running smoothly and fish all happy in that...

Tank 2 - Big Fish Tank, looking at getting a sizeable tank and getting a small handful of larger fish, say 4-5, then once those guys are sorted...

Tank 3 - Marine Tank, set up a few corals, anemones and clown fish etc, I know this is a far from easy thing to do, hence why I'll give myself plenty time to read up about everything I'll need to know.

I'll also look into setting up a turtle tank at some point in the distant future too, but one thing at a time... :) I'm not planning on doing all this over a few weeks, more like 3-4 years. Better half also wants to breed sea horses at some point too.

Considering I haven't got a tank yet, do I sound addicted already?? :)

Not sure yet, I'm doing some research on what fish I can stick in together and then working out how many I can fit into the tank without overcrowding.

If folk could make some suggestions of what fish make up a nice colourful tank, would be much appreciated. Looking at a couple of small shoals and a few pairs of fish, plus maybe a few singles for variety...

Once I get tank set up, planning on a couple of bristlenose for cycling it for starters.

Cheers!

for a nice community tank there are lots of choices for fish.

i like cherry barbs, the males are a lovely red and they are friendly barbs too! emporer (sp) tetras are great too! mine have thrived and grown really well. go for cardinal tetras over neons any day! see what you like, try and get all friendly and no fish that will make life difficult. you can have the odd one that isnt so friendly, I have one shark, but there would be trouble if i added another one!

good luck! go and see what you like and do some research!

plecs

The eheim should be able to be set up with the spraybar above the water and pointing strait down into it. this will ensure that there is more than enough gas exchange taking place.

If you want to be sure then a bubble wall couldent hurt, (multiple redundancy) I remember when my eheim on my discus tank stopped due to a bad seal on the intake (sucking in air) and I found my discus gasping. no losses but it did give me a fright.

However I have floating indian fern in most of my tanks so if you don't have that then suphew is probably right.

• 1 month later...

Animates in CHCH has them.

AND IF IT HELPS, (SORRY IF IT DOESNT SINCE YOU LIVE IN PALMERSTON NORTH) BUT HOLLYWOOD FISH FARM IN MT ROSKILL AND ALBANY IN AUCKLAND LAST TIME I WAS THERE.

PLUS IF THEY DONT HAVE THEM THERE THEY CAN ORDER THEM FROM THERE.

The website address site is:

www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz

We currently have a community tank about 1200-450-450 i think,at the moment it has about 12 neons, 6 cardnals, ( had 12 albino neons but they were fair game for everything else in the tank) 3 mollys, 8 catfish, 3 glass cats, 2 kulie loaches, 12 harliquins, 2 honey guamies, 1 red tailed shark, 24 various danios, 1 threadfin, 3 horsefaced loaches, 6 black neons, and a few others i cant think of right now, basically it has heaps of schools of small colourful lively fish it is heavily planted and they all seem happy with their space, good uck with your new venture and i hope to see lots of sucessful comments soon. this site is a world of knowlage and reallyfriendly helpful people :D