My First African Cichlid Tank

tracytrout

After thinking about it for 18 months I finally set up my first African Cichlid Tank :happy1: :happy2: . A huge THANK YOU to all those who offered advice and patiently answered my gazillion questions :hail::bow: ...you know who you are :wink: . Also a huge THANK YOU to Navarre, ryanjury and Mel for the fishies which I'm going to enjoy watching grow out and hopefully breed :hail::bow: .

Here's a few photo's:

396021638.jpg

396021641.jpg

396021643.jpg

396021646.jpg

396021646.jpg

396021636.jpg

396021652.jpg

396021655.jpg

Will be 2-3yrs+ before giraffes outgrow that tank, by that stage Tracy will be at least a 5-600L african tank because she would have been swayed to the good side and there will be no looking back for her :)

of course but it will be much sooner before they become a problem, i tried the same thing & once they hit around 5 inches they wanted to breed & it was all on at that point. :)

As the Giraffes grow out I plan to reduce numbers and if not then, as ryanjury so kindly pointed out, knowing me I'll probably end up getting a bigger tank...with the internet searches and gazillions of questions I asked and prior to setting up this tank hopefully I've covered every "eventuality".

As the Giraffes grow out I plan to reduce numbers and if not then, as ryanjury so kindly pointed out, knowing me I'll probably end up getting a bigger tank...with the internet searches and gazillions of questions I asked and prior to setting up this tank hopefully I've covered every "eventuality".

cool, that's why i asked if you were aware of it. it will be sweet until the boys want to compete for the girls, hopefully with them being together as fry they may not go mental but there is a good chance they will.

looks good. I like the blue stripey ones

If that is a val plant of some sort may I recommend gently pulling them out a little so that you can *just* see the roots otherwise they may rot away. If they aren't val then please just read above compliment :D

Hi Sophia

The "blue stripey ones" are Demasoni (Pseudotropheus demasoni) :wink:

The yellow ones are Electric Yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus)

The brown spotty ones are Giraffes (Nimbochromis venustus)

The black and white ones are Juli's (Julidochromis Marlieri)

Cichlids tend to move the sand round quite a lot so I've stopped rearranging the plants and they're growing...thanks for the tip though :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jckingjc

The pH usually sits about 7.9-8.

The rocks are from the local beach except for the front couple with rounded holes which I collected from a beach up north..wish I'd got more :D .

Would you like to start a new posting with some photo's of your tank?