Help! Turtle found and need advice on care

kiwi101

So, a turtle (Male it seems) was found nearly 2 weeks ago by some people, they passed him to other people, who are now going overseas so I have taken him in to try and organise a new home..

SPCA and all other local animal rescues were notified by original people, no luck so far...

He has been living in a small chilly bin and fed worms by previous people. I am hoping my old tank doesnt leak, so at least he can have a tank (tho it's too small im sure! approx 125L)

He is 15cm long and seems in pretty good condition - no obvious damage to his shell and is very active..

Any advice?? Info?? People who might like a handsome yet modest turtle-about-town?

Read the sticky on turtle care at the top of this reptile section :wink:

I have read and reread but pretty much all of it really assumes you were prepared for a turtle..lol

Any vital info that this guy needs NOW?

Incidentally I spoke to someone who 'does turtle rescue' (not Donna!) who has given info that directly goes against several key points that you guys have on here..

Thank you for all the info you have here in a Sticky. It must have saved more than one turtle! :)

can u please tell were this turtle was found as i have a friend who has lost a male

He was found in Upper Hutt approx two weeks ago, he has been listed in the local pet shop and on trademe as well as the SPCA :)

Edited to adjust time as I fogot how to add..lol