DIY Fry cage

hovmoller

This is certainly not rocket science but thought I'd share..

Bought a plastic toy box at the warehouse for $2, cut out the sides and siliconed plastic flyscreen mesh inside all 4 sides. Then I'll just hang it over the side of the tank with some string and weights..

Hoping it will be a good place to keep a bunch of Geophagus babies until they are big enough for their own tank. (that is of course if my Geos finally have a succesful batch.)

24032011132.jpg

Any reason why you're not going to leave them with the parents?

Well I've gone through several spawns now where they do manage to fertilize a small number of eggs through the divider in that tank and all is well for a few days where both parents participate in parenting until out of nowhere one of them gets a taste for geo baby an swallows hard and then they are gone...

So the next time I get a decent size batch and I see them swimming around I'll rush in there and fish out the babies before the parents know what hit them, hehe.

That is a great breeding net :)

Good luck with the fish! Maybe you need to strip them next time?

Ryan I guess by stripping you mean catching them and opening their mouth to let the young out?

I remember doing that years ago with some G. steindachneri. But they were much smaller fish..

I think my Geo couple are nearly full size now and the thought of handling them scares me a bit.. as in a whole bunch of chaotic splashing and fry flying everywhere. I will consider it though thanks!