how to apply silicone?

steikheigel

I've finally got time to have a go at putting my tank together, i spent the last few hours scraping and scrubbing off the old silicone and i realize, i don't actually know how to silicone a tank together

Have had a look at previous posts but still a little lost

Do i put a line on silicone along an edge i want to join , then squish it into place? or do i tape the tank together (on the outside) and lay a bead of silicone along each edge on the inside, pushing it into the corner and smoothing it out as I go??

And how much silicone will i need? is one tube enough, or are more likely to be required??

Yes put the silicone along the edge and push together, you want to see a nice consistent bead along the edge with no air bubbles.

You definately need the silicon in the join area

I Let it squeeze out the side and then once dry slice the excess off with a razor blade.

I also put tape along the joins on the inside and bottom before joining so I get a nice straight line

I try for about a 10mm bead inside the glass thickness, you could get away with thinner but only on the smaller tanks

I put tape around the outside as I build to help hold it together

Once I am happy with the joins and they are all even I then go around the inside with more silicone

I always put a real thick bead and then smooth it out with my finger

The important thing to remember is to remove the tape on the inside as soon as you have finished and while the silicon is still wet or you will get a nasty lip of silicon if its too dry.

One tube should be heaps unless the tank is big!

I think it is one of those things that you have to do once before you can understand it better. I would practice with some scraps of glass if you care about appearance ect.

Not a lot of info in the net about building but there is a good video on you tube.

Check out rickets reef on YT

There are a few ways to do it, I take 3 days to build a tank, not because it is better but because it is more comfortable for me. Good luck I am sure you will be fine.

Make sure the old silicone is clean and no residue left. A good blade and turps will be good fro that.

the easiest way i have found to make a tank it get all the glass cleaned up and ready to go have about 10 cable ties or matches handy

have these items handy bottle of meths 10 or so cable ties/matches a lint free rag thats clean bottle of glass cleaner and some news paper and a roll of duct tape and some parcel tape

run tape on the surface of the table/bench u intend using marking out the edges of the galss so it does not stick to the table

lay the base over the taped area out wipe it down with meths then get and end and a side piece do the same again put a match stick along the base as the ends to leave a small gap place the end on and " gap it again with the match stick line up the side and then tape it together to hold it in place put match sticks top and bottom and keep adding the sides and ends repeating the match sticks and tape method until you have a "boxed tank"

you have 2 options now

1 grab ya silicone caulking gun and run silicone down all the gaps removing all the match sticks as you go until its totally sealed up

2 tack method from the outside of your assembled tank squeeze a small amount of silicone into the gaps about 1 inch long but dont force it through the gap/join so its coming all the way through do this on each gap/join top and bottom near where the match sticks are, leave this to cure for a day then come back and remove all matches and tape carefully not to pull your tacks from the glass, now apply silicone into all the gaps from the inside of the tank

no matter how you do this be as quick as possible as you dont want silicone to start to skin before you finished as silcone wont stick to dry silicone very well

lastly what i like to do for a nice clean edge on the silicone is to grab that window/glass cleaner and spray all the silicone you have put on and then using a ruler or any thing thats square and solid run it along the beads of silicone to tidy it up wiping the excess off onto the news paper as you go but before it falls off your wiping tool

if you find any smears on the glass once you have completed doing this use a razor blade to remove them once the tank has had time to cure