Using local driftwood in a tank

fish_tank0311

I went down to my pet shop today and bought another 20 liter tank for a fighter fish and i am going to use some local driftwood (me being in the country i have access to heaps of it) i went out looking with my dad and found lots of pieces of hard wood which he said should work. Now i need help to 'cure' it etc. I currently have it in a portable grill thingy boiling in water. Firstly what are your comments on this idea. secondly how long do i boil it for? thirdly what do i do after it boils? Another thing is, its actually floating. it is very very solid wood which feels heavy i dont know why its floating but how can i stop that and make it sink?

Thanks

i dont boil my driftwood i just let it soak for a week or two in a drum.

then hose off. and put into a tank if this still floating i weigth it down with

rocks. or if you are clever you cut a peace of prespex and use a screw it to

the wood and use your gravel on to the prespex to hold it down..

. by prespex im guessing you mean pERspex. Im not quite sure what you mean by this either.

with the perspex you put your wood into the tank setup where you like it mark the points that thouch the bottom

of the tank take out .cut a square pieaces of perspex mark the center drill a hole. screw it to the bottom of the wood.so

its like a foot. fit back into tank and cover in the gravel. it will hold it in place and hold it down as well

And what do you mean by saturation???

Even though the wood is hard and heavy, it still needs time to become "waterlogged". That's why if you compare the driftwood you find in your LFS, it will look different from the piece of wood you're boiling (I presume). Once your wood has successfully waterlogged, it will sink like a rock and it will also look different from its current condition. 'Saturation' is the technical term for wood soaking up water, lol.

If Anthony's method is too complicated for you, just tie some rocks to the wood and submerge it in clean water until it sinks on its own. Alternatively, you can just let it float in the water till it sinks, but apparently this method takes longer.

HTH. :wink: