Just New Hear and yes of course I have questions!!!!

Duke3d

Hello everybody. Well I have spent the last few nights reading every topic I can find on here - yes there have been some quite late nights. Some real good informative stuff on here so keep it up - definitely a bonus for people like me getting unbiased advise from users as opposed to sellers.

As far as fish I own - just your common community tank 130l. Favourite fish was my black knife fish however he died recently (owned for 4 months) - now I read that you cannot treat the water for skin diseases as these fish don't have scales. The real annoying thing here for me was I didn't treat the water because I had a problem - it was a preventative measure. Anyway will have to get another one as quite neat - definitely my pride and joy. Next on my list would be the Siamese Fighter and my Glass Cats. Anyway they are all popular to me - well I did choose them.

Have another tank which is a hex shaped - forget how big, but has my goldfish in it - owned for 3 years so are getting to be a reasonable size. They are what started my interest in fish I guess.

Few things that I would like to know please from anyone feeling knowledable.

Is there a club in Timaru? Does anyone have any contact details for them?

Have been thinking about buying a larger tank - figure will put goldfish in bigger tank, community tank in bigger one, and use the hex as a breeding/unsociable fish tank. Have been thinking about 300-400l tank. I have this impression that a larger tank like this is EASIER to keep than my current size - is this right or have I got the wrong end of the stick. When I say easier I mean in regards to the biological nature of a tank - isn't larger more stable.

Apart from making my own tank - does anyone have one for sale around this size? Will also be needing the filters, lighting, heaters etc. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Well thats probably enough annoying from me in my first post!!! All I have to say is keeping fish is stressful while relaxing, fun while annoying but mostly just plain interesting.

Paul

Bigger doesnt mean easier, it just means less maintenance. The general rule of thumb for heating is atleast 1 watt per litre of water, so if you getting a 300-400l tank i suggest a 300watt heater at the least. Hexagon tanks are usually quite tall so i would suggest something like PC or MH for deep water penatration. As for filtration your going to want to get a canister filter, Id suggest a Fluval 404 plus a small internal filter, either that or go with those knew jebo canister filters. Because the water is deep it will be hardy for it to absorb Co2 and without Co2 your plants arnt going to grow very well, so id also say you should get either a Co2 injecter or make you own DIY Co2. I have a URL somewhere on it and will post it tomorrow.

Anways welcome to the forum.

Shae

Welcome to the fishroom. 8)

Bigger is definitely easier! Much more stable and more forgiving if you make a mistake. Things tend to go wrong more slowly so you have time to figure out what has gone wrong and fix it before things get out of hand.

Getting the goldfish out of the hex tank and into something larger would be good.

There is a club in Timaru. They recently pulled out of the FNZAS though (with a few nasty words unfortunately). Last contact I had for them was secretary Gary Laird, 38 Hassall St. Look him up in the phone book.

mgilchrist in here is in Timaru so perhaps you should send him a PM and you can talk fish together. He actually belongs to my club (Marlborough) as he wanted to be affiliated to the FNZAS.

Check out our trade section in here for tanks and many people find good deals at Trademe, the internet auction site.

Hi Paul,

Great to have you join us, and by the sound of things you already have found lots of interest here :)

One thing we all learn about tanks is that they are "never" big enough to suit all our needs, as the day always arrives when you want to add "just one more" fish.. but find your tank is already stretched to its limits :)

Bigger is certainly easier to maintain, and cost for cost for running there is very little difference in the small and large tanks.

Look at the available space you have and plan around that... but take your time and don't rush things, as your decision could be stuck there for quite a number of years he he.

Lots of members in the Chat Room on an evening if you get the time.

All the best.. look forward to your posts,

:)

That was a quick response from you guys. Great start. Sorry Mystic I should have used the Ghost word - Black Ghost Knife fish - bit different to yours but definitely loved him all the same. Was only a small one about 8-10cm - but will definitely be getting another one!!!

Well you guys have convinced me bigger is better - so bigger it shall be.

Pegasus - who cares about seeing if there is room to fit the tank - its the room that has to alter to accomodate the tank!! Have sold my current house so am on the move, but will install a tank in my wall in next house - always fun doing something a bit different - I want it like some restaurants where you can look in from both sides.

Shae please continue on your info. At present I have a Shark filter which I must say does do a good job, but it does clog up very regularly. I don't think my water is clear enough either - its clear but I am sure I can get it clearer so will do some research on the ones you mentioned. As far as heater I think I will install 2 as I am a bit worried of one breaking down when you aren't looking so to speak. Anyway will have a good read off that url if you find him.

Caryl I have been looking on Trademe etc and yes have seen some good deals however the problem I am facing there seems to be they are all pick ups - mainly Auckland by the seems of things. I have spent most of my time at Redwood Aquatics in CHCH so may get them to make the tank - at least you know what you are getting. But ideally something will crop up locally. What a bugger the Timaru club has turned like that - not sure if you have put me off or not!!! Anyway will have to get in contact with mgilchrist and see what he knows around these parts.

Again thanks for your thoughts peoples and keep the good info flowing. I can see this is going to be a regular reading place on the net for me!!!

Cheers

Paul

I didn't mean to put you off the Timaru club at all! They are a nice bunch of people (or they used to be when I was still in contact with them but that was a few years ago and I do not know who their members are anymore). They will still be of help to you in setting up I am sure. It is just that they are no longer affiliated with the FNZAS so do not get the benefits of this.

Try going to a glazier rather than a pet shop as they will be cheaper. The advantage of the ones the pet shops have is that they are already to go just point to the one you want, pay and off you go! :D I believe Animates may have a tank sale on at the moment down there. Pays to shop around and ChCh has many shops to choose from.

A tank 4ft or larger really needs an external type od filter so it doesn't take up room in your tank. I use the Shark internals as extra boosters and always have 1 or 2 of them running in a tank for use if needed in a hurry (another filter fails, a tank has to be set up in a hurry etc).

shame about your knife fish, i have one and he is great! Your glass cats also have no scales, so you will have to half dose all treatments if you want to keep them and you new knife happy (when you get him). Loaches also have no scales.

hope this helps! and welcome to the site :D

plecs

Hello Paul

welcome to the fishroom (bit late i know) if you want to have a look at a tank about the size you were talking about i have a 4ft by 2 by 2 at home if you want to have a look, not too many fish in it yet, but lots of plants. would be good to meet someone else local.

as the others have said bigger is better and once set up is much easier on maintenance. this tank is half again the size of the old tank, bigger filter, more plants and much less maintenance.

Mark