Great Site

Pegasus

They do tend to be a bit on the high-tech, high-nutrient & high-maintenance side. A bit elitist... but, lots of plant info. Sometimes it's worth gritting your teeth and hanging on, just for that.

There are a couple of informational posts that are definately worth the price of admission (which is 0, naturally). Check out the "Best Links Out There" post in the General Aquarium section.

Another one in the same area is the "Fertilizer 101" thread, where links to all sorts of discussiong and sites for nutrient combinations and substrates.

Most of the regular members there are as interested in photographing their aquascapes as they are in setting them up. There is an interesting section devoted to just that topic.

PS... hi Pegasus... I followed your sig link from your "dirt ice cube" thread, and looked around a bit. Then, along comes Carylnz and registers at my "home" BBS. So, I just had to come back and register here.

We are sure glad you did join us Kluyu from Texas. Never thought the old frozen fertilizer would get so much comeback, but it created a few interseting posts :)

Great to see you digging up these old threads, just what we need to get the ball bouncing again he he.

All you need now is a big Texas logo beside your handle on the left and a link in your sig to your home forum :)

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

He he.... I already did. The avatar you have on your site looks choice.

Ooops This is the Aquatic section... Errmm better ask a plant question :)

Do you use CO2, and have you any unusual plants over there :)

Seriously thinking about this CO2 thing, but being an oldie am hard to change my ways, but John1 sent me a few pics from Australia, so it got me thinking, so I may give it a try in a week or so.

Concept seems simple enough, and the cost is none existent for the simple setup, which would be the way I would go to try it out.

We have heaps of CO2 addicts here, so I may just get addicted with them. You know what they say,

"If you can't beat em... Join em" :)

Keep those post coming :)

Love the old Texan drawl :)

We say "Git in behind yer mongrel" :):)

Eg, Referring to the cattle dogs herding the stock... cows... sheep... people he he .

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

To tell the truth, I am thinking about some CO2 injection on one of my tanks. I have really made a major issue about not doing this sort of thing in various posted threads, so I know I'll have to take a lot of ribbing about being converted.

I know (have been told many times) that with CO2 injection, higher plants in a tank can outcompete black beard algae.

This would really be the only reason for going to CO2 injection for me. It does allow more lush growth under the conditions I now have, but I really like easy maintenance tanks. I can have nice looking tanks with low to moderate lighting (1.5 to 2 watts per gallon) although they won't be show tanks. I do like to go to the AquaBotanic forum you suggested as an interesting site. Most of those people DO have the high light & high maintenance type tanks. When I hear that they have to prune and shape their tanks on almost a weekly basis... well I just feel a little faint.

Not for me, that slaving over a hot aquarium!

But some of the people that do frequent that board are very knowledgable indeed, and I find it very interesting and informative to follow their threads.

Quality plant info there.

Hi Kluyu, great post, thanks for the input.

I too may have to "Bite the bit" a little, (eat yer words Bill :) ) as I have been into many discussions about how I prefer the natural way, but I think I am going to try this just for experimental reasons only, as I need to establish how the plants will react when taken from conditions that provide constant CO2, to having no CO2 in a normal setup.

Just to clarify. If say on removing the plants from a CO2 tank into a normal one, then days later they begin to flag, or die even, then to me it would be pointless using the CO2 in the first place.

It was pointed out to me that many garden centres and plant growers use CO2 on a large scale to encourage growth, and that the plants in question then fare quite well in the normal home enviroment.

Hopefully this will apply to the two differing tank setups, but only extensive tests with various plants and lighting will give me the answers I need.

My present setup uses no CO2, and a while back I was fortunate enough to obtain some plants from Rob, one of our members, at a VERY reasonable price. (cheers Rob :) )

At the moment they are going balistic, with just Grolux lighting and no additives, and I have obtained enough cuttings of good size to fill my other two tanks, and have Sag and Vallis growing over 1.5 metres long and most other plants almost lifting the hood off the tank. My Swords are flourishing, as are all my fern types, which require constant pruning, so growing is not the problem, but SEEING the differences between CO2 and none CO2 may or may not prove a benifit to me.

All input would be welcome :)

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)