Do pH test solutions have expiry dates?

si_sphinx

Do they go old or expire?

I have an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) pH test solution kit and I have just tested my main tanks pH, (for the 1st time in ever) for my own curiosity.

The pH shows as being around 7.0 :o and should be above 8.0

I have never worried about pH because I have 40kg of coral rock and 5ltrs of oyster shell grit in my sump, all for buffering the pH in my tank. And my fish are all happy. Tank is 800ltrs

Has my test solution gone off? It is going on 2 years old just about and still pretty much full.

I think that Caryl did a thing at fish club once where they got everyone to dig out the oldest test kits they had and PH was one of the only ones that they got the same (or similar enough) results with regardless of age.. Hopefully she sees this and lets us know what the story is..

Indeed we did. All our members brought along a container of tap water, one of tank water, and every pH test kit they could find. These varied from test strips, liquid and electronic over a number of brands. Some were new and some were many years old. All gave the same results no matter how old (or new) they were.

The pH test stuff I use occasionally, when I get curious as I rarely test my water, is about 15 years old and still appears to be accurate. I do not have access to an electronic tester any more but my results are the same as other, newer, tests used.

I have a fancy JBL test lab that Grant won years ago at a conference. The other tests in it are no longer accurate but the pH seems to be fine.