Post your Spiny Eels

Nymox

Just interested as to what is out there. Throw up pictures if you like or just list them.

I have:

Fire Eel, 22cm

Tire Track Eel, 33cm

Zebra Spiny Eel, 12cm

Half Banded Spiny Eel, 9cm

Striped Peacock Eel, 10cm

I'm interested in increasing my collection, The only aggression problems I have had between them was the TT and Fire Eel, TT just constantly chased and bit at the gills of the fire eel. The TT now lives with the massive ornate Bichirs, and has had to learn some manners.

I want to learn as much as I can about these fish, so any experiences you have had would be great to read about.

He's got really nice markings snookie, and yeah very intelligent.

I thought I would have come back to the thread being riddled with eels, doesnt seem like there is as many out there as I thought.

I guess with the whole fussy eating habbits and escape tactics perhaps it has put people off. Especially when they dig up your plants daily ;)

I was going to ask you what you are feeding yours .. how much and how often.

Our striped peacock will eat frozen bloodworms (Thawed) and preferably handfed.

He will also eat live guppy fry if my daughter catches them and holds them by the tail in front of him! We've got a guppy trio in his tank to keep him fed on fry but not sure if he or the pearl gourami are eating the fry. As they are always gone by the end of the first day/night.

Otherwise it's just the bloodworms.. 1/2 cube every 2nd day .. not sure if this is enough??? (possibly supplemented by guppy fry 1-2 times a month)

He won't eat any of the dried foods we feed the other fish. he comes out to inspect but turns his nose up at it.

Soon as your hand is in the tank though he's twirling around the fingers hoping for a bloodworm morsel.

We will increase the amount as he gets bigger but is 1/2 cube enough for now? He doesn't seem skinny.

Hes loooking healthy, so don't worry too much. Slowly start introducing other foods though, I would suggest frozen brine shrimp to start. As they get more confortable with their home and their owners they will start accepting a wider variety of foods.

I fed my fire eel on bloodworms and the occasional guppy fry for about a year and he still grew very quickly. Now hes eating brine shrimp, white worms, ox heart, colourbits, well just about anything really but it took time. The TT eel and Zebra both eat anything thats thrown in the tank, where as my half-banded and striped peacock will only eat white worms at the moment, and the occasional blood worm.

Try swapping out blood worms for brine shrimp for a week, he might turn his nose up at them for the first few feeds but as hunger sets in he will try them by hand, if not you always have the blood worms to fall back on. This time of year is also very good for bringing new eels home, there is a lot of live food around in any reasonably clean body of water. I found they are quite partial to mosquito larvae, damselfly larvae for the larger ones, and for the ones that are getting huge, fresh water shrimp goes down a treat.

. I found they are quite partial to mosquito larvae, damselfly larvae for the larger ones, and for the ones that are getting huge, fresh water shrimp goes down a treat.

man I have tried to grow some mozzie larvae but my cat keeps drinking from the water bucket and probably ingesting any mozzie floats. I've given up after two months!

We have plenty of shrimp across the road in the ponds.. just don't know if they are freshwater or not.. there are also the dreaded gambusia and other larger fish and some eels. At least some of the mulitiple ponds are manmade to add to the feel of the environment. But some are bordering or nearby mangrove /estuary inlets so might be brackish?

Up at the reserve I believe it is fresh pond on one side of the road and seawater on the other. Not sure on that though.

Where we are the ponds are inhabited by ducks and pukeko with herons and kingfishers occasionally coming to visit.

Swans and ducks and geese are at the reserve ponds a 15 minute walk down the rd.

yeah - lots of water around us. Then there is the estuary/harbour. ..(Peninsula)

• 1 month later...

its great to see you have a zebra spiney eel, which variety did you get?

I have one about 2 and a half years old, about 35cm. i have always been looking for another like her and felt like i'd won the fa cup when i saw two at hollywoods albany. after eagerly making a purchase and bringing them both straight home i settled back to watch how they would behave, and they did exactly as i suspected, buried themselves! in the last week they have been coming out looking for food, and playing with the larger eel, one youngun on each flank, its a "keep up if you can game", fun to watch.

it was now that i have noticed the tail. my older spiney eel is mastacembelidea zebrinus, with a continuous dorsal and anal. the new fish are macrognathus zebrinus, the anal and dorsal stop before a very fishlike caudial tail fin.

i was a bit pissed off at first as i was hoping to get a breeding partner for my older eel, but these guys are so cool and fun to watch i dont mind now.

anyone else got an older zebra eel? i'll be interested to know the size and age as mine has eclipsed sizing info given on various websites.

cheers, Barny

We have just recently got a spiney peacock eel and he is still settling in, he is about 10cm long. I (Siran) have named him Monty and he is quite the character. I am feeding him bloodworms at the moment and he is eating them out of my fingers now, still shy though. I tried him on brineshrimp when we first got him and wasn't that impressed, so have stuck with the bloodworms for now.

Here are a couple of pics that I have been able to get.

2018067270060019373S600x600Q85.jpg

2700643610060019373S600x600Q85.jpg

2976681480060019373S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

from 2 mins and 35 seconds in, the eel comes out to feed.

this was 6 months ago, it wasnt 50 cms here, it was more actually (im bad with sizes)

the height of the tank is 72 cms.

now, the diet of this fella (ERNIE) is his name, named by my female, is raw shrimp, beef heart.

when he comes to feed, hte over laps the bottom of the tank, i estimate he is 75 cms ish now.

i would love a large fire eel.