Moving tanks (fairly) long distance?

Stephanie

I've been reading up on this while we prepare our move to Taupo. It seems bubble wrap and poly are quite possibly the way to go, but alot of the threads are people moving locally, apart from Ryans massive move up here!

We have:

3 x 3 foots

6 x 2foots

A bazillion little tanks under 40l which should be easy to wrap up.

And a couple of others not much bigger than 2foot.

Should I just wrap and tape the hell out of them and cross my fingers? My plan is to get the 2 foots setup to house all the fish for a week or so until the larger tanks can be setup again. They just need to be ok to shove in a truck and arrive safely 2 or 3 hours later.

When I drove up with a trailer load I just used poly and packed it inbetween all the tanks on the trailer I packed it so hard that none of the tanks could move, poly all up the front edge and a tarp over the front to stop wind getting into tanks or stones getting flicked up and smashing them and a strop over the top :)

That's not dedication, I got up at 5am caught and bagged 30 tanks of fish (with tons of help from a few good friends) then drove to Auckland with a trailer filled with tanks, got there at 8pm started settling fish into tanks (again thanks to some more good friends at this end). Then around midnight got to bed up at 6 to go out south and load up some more tanks to take back down to Bulls for another friend and drove back! That was a big weekend.. Taupo and back in 1 day it definitely doable.

That's not dedication, I got up at 5am caught and bagged 30 tanks of fish (with tons of help from a few good friends) then drove to Auckland with a trailer filled with tanks, got there at 8pm started settling fish into tanks (again thanks to some more good friends at this end). Then around midnight got to bed up at 6 to go out south and load up some more tanks to take back down to Bulls for another friend and drove back! That was a big weekend.. Taupo and back in 1 day it definitely doable.

Hear Hear :hail::hail:

I'm not a legend like you! Haha! I want to get up early and bag everyone, drain everything then pack because I simply cannot be bothered mucking around at the other end of the trip since we can't call in help from fishy people. Maybe i'm just lazy lol. Apart from 30ish fighters and their babies the rest of the fish should be easy enough to bag up. I'm super glad I don't have tetras at the moment. The catching part is always the worst!

Didn't you say taupo was only a three hour drive?

Three hours is still three hours when you have to set up a house too. Fish are minor details.

Thanks! But when you think about it there's not that many really. A few tanks full of fish, a dog and a mouse. :P

I want to get everything down in one trip because I am possibly the most impatient person in the world. And when we get there I want to get everything sorted at once, not keep coming and going which might not be possible for awhile depending on work. :roll:

Thanks! But when you think about it there's not that many really. A few tanks full of fish, a dog and a mouse. :P

I want to get everything down in one trip because I am possibly the most impatient person in the world. And when we get there I want to get everything sorted at once, not keep coming and going which might not be possible for awhile depending on work. :roll:

You and Allister go down, empty the car, you do your thing, he comes back up, I help him fill the car, he drives back? Depends on how much driving he wants to do