Worst mistakes you made resulting in fish death...

Funkytown

A crack in the middle of the base spreading out in 3 directions sounds like uneven surface to me. What was the tank sitting on? It only takes a tiny speck to set of a crack like that once the weight of the water is added. Maybe an uneven surface the tank is on?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just staring at the keyboard and about to ask the same question Caryl :)

Real sorry to hear about your loss Bilbo.

Crack looks to have started about the middle of the 1500x750 base and gone out in 3 directions from there.
As Caryl points out... an uneven surface would be the most likely suspect, but other causes are possibly a weakness in the seal at that point.

The thing to find out is...

Did it run from the bottom up... or did it run from part way up the front glass in a downward run...?

Many tankmakers seal the base by working from the corners and out to the centre... then start at the other corner and do the same.

Often this leaves a slight "overlapped" area in the middle that looks ok... but in fact has a poor seal... unless the sealant is phyically forced into the whole length. This tiny area can become a weak point when the tank is full.

Even a very minute chip in the base of the glass "prior" to it being assembled can give you the type of break you describe.

Examine the seal VERY CAREFULLY at the point you think the run started.

If it is DARK or slightly dark in that area, it is a sign of a bad seal, as it will have allowed water to seap under the seal.

Also look UNDER the edge of the glass a the same point to see if you can spot any slight chip that may have started the run.

A break from the top usually indicates either a slight chip.. or an unsupported top edge that has been allowed to flex.

A base glass breaking usually indicated an uneven base, which has allowed the base to twist,... and end panes breaking usually occur from all of the above as the glass is being stressed from the front and rear edges, in a sort of twisting action.

Of course unsuitable thickness of glass will always be a major factor in breakages, but if you bought the tank from a reliable supplier or had it custom made, I would approach them and explain the situation, provided you set the tank up perfectly level and on the correct styrene base pad.

Not much consolation for your loss, but hopefully it won't happen a second time.

Regards,

Bill.

So sorry about your tank!!! :o Sad for the fish though :cry:

My biggest oops!!! was stacking my 4ft with large rocks on top of gravel in my Malawi tank!! A "Time Bomb" that exploded (Full sense of the word) Not only on a 12cm male cobolt, whom I think dug the bottom out, but through the front pain onto the carpet with all the contents and +/- 10 malawis!!! The best part!! I was away for the weekend!! Ouch!!

Yip!! a fresh smell awaited me as I opened the door!! The letters leaves (weekend food) was baked and poor fish (dried out) was found metres away from the scene, New carpets and on the bright side that new 6ft tank I always wanted. :wink:

Moral of my disaster, If you want a bigger tank... :wink: !!!

Sorry if I sounded insensitive, I only read the last few pages now!! Trusses or bridges, bottom and top are very important in those large tanks!! I know the feeling!! especially when you loose those special ones!!

:o almost a disaster, The timer that I have my filter (only supply of oxygen) on is broken and i only found this out from watching the stressed out guppies trying to breath air for their oxygen. I don't know how long it's been broken. The timer is just a few months old. Damn these cheap timers. :evil:

Crap I just lost my best female guppy that I have ever had. I don't know if it is the timer I am to blame or if it was her time. When you looked at this female you would have to check twice. She had briliant colour right up to the anal fin.

I hope I get a good female from her new young.