Fish Review: Columbian Tetra

malevolentsparkle

vital statistics:

Scientific name: Hyphessobrycon colombianus

Size: 5-7cm long

Water chemistry: typical south american water chemistry, pH 6-7, fairly soft but not known to be fussy.

Silver body fading to subtle electric blue on top. Bright red fins. Columbian tetras are a large bodied tetra and usually swim in mid-water but will take food from the surface. They best way to describe them is they are like mini piranhas - body shape, fins and even swimming style are reminiscent of these giants; although they are not classified in the same genus as them. They attack food furiously and add a great deal of movement and interest to an aquarium.

They are fairly new to the hobby but they are not difficult or unusual fish. They are semi-aggressive and are not a good match for long finned, slower moving fish, but most of the aggression seems to be directed towards each other. I keep them with cardinal tetras, Bolivian rams, emerald catfish, and a whiptail and they more or less ignore these fish. However they have surprisingly large mouths and even large (1cm+) fry will disappear (learnt that the hard way!). Mine arrived home with some fin damage, I suspect due to the low water level in the bag so make sure the store puts a decent amount of water in there especially if you are buying a large group. Speaking of numbers; the more the better as it spreads the aggression around (similar to tiger barbs). I recommend 7+ in a school.

In conclusion, they are a great fish if you tank and tank mates are suitable and in my opinion are the best of the larger tetras.

5* ratings:

Appearance: ****

Form: ***

Behavior: ***

Ease of keeping:***

Overall: ***1/2

I have 10 of these in my community tank, and yes they are a nice lively addition to the tank with some good colour, they definitely have that piranha look head on.

They do feed relatively aggressively darting around for flakes, but they go absolutely mental for bloodworm.

I keep mine with 2 large Angel fish, some Honey Gouramis and some lemon tetras, all seem to get on well, I did just recently add a Redfinned shark and he was quite upset with the Columbians for a day or so constantly chasing them but he has given up now.

One downer is they get some sort of unknown disease, they can get (and some of mine have) what looks like black pigment in a large spot/spots on them, it doesn't cause any sort of change in texture of the scales just black blotches, none of mine have died from it yet but from what I have been able to find out on the net sometimes they die and sometimes they don't (with or without the black marks going away), and it supposedly isn't contagious.

Bit of a shame it spoils their colouring a bit though.

I think if you are going to rate them, only say how well they school and the ease of keeping, and even the price of them. And probably don't use stars - just say for example - ease of keeping: moderate, schools losely, price: $7-$10. Don't rate apperance or shape because that is your opinion. Some people probably think these fish are very ugly. Personally I think they are very cool though :) I don't get the pirana thing; their heads look kind of like a pirana's head, but there isn't really much of a resemblance. They look more like silver dollars if I had to compare them with something. Otherwise, great article :) Try and improve it, then send it off to Caryl so it can go in the Aquarium World magazine :D