What to put on top of Dalton's layer?

bobo

Heya,

I'm a little confused regarding substrates, having read some conflicting information.

I'm planning on having a low light, low maintenance tank.

So, I thought sand would be inappropriate as I won't be doing many vacuums.

I thought a larger material would be more appropriate, allowing the fish waste to slip down and in among the root.

Something like:

imageaspxy.jpg

Which is 6mm in size.

Will this be alright on top of the Dalton's? Should I have an intermediary layer?

Will it be ok for corys?

Thanks for your help!

Corydora are best with rounded smooth gravel or fine sand. Sharp grit and gravel will over time hurt their barbels and they risk death or infection.

If you didn't have cory I think it would be fine on top of the aquatic mix but I haven't used the stuff myself so someone else better answer that part.

Good to know. This is .8mm-1.4mm - would it be too sharp?

imageaspxeo.jpg

If it is, I could use a 3-6mm gravel such as:

imageaspxf.jpg

Would that work well on top of Dalton's?

Alternatively, I could use sand, but I'm worried it is an inappropriate choice if I won't be vacuuming very often - thoughts?

Thanks!

i would go for the shadow it looks more of a pebble rather than a chip

So why would you go for the pebble?

The corys aren't my primary concern. My main concern is what works well with Dalton's and fish waste - although if it makes keeping corys possible, that's cool.

Cheers

So why would you go for the pebble?

The corys aren't my primary concern. My main concern is what works well with Dalton's and fish waste - although if it makes keeping corys possible, that's cool.

Cheers

Cause chips might hurt your fish.

i would go for the shadow it looks more of a pebble rather than a chip

Yes I agree too. And personally I think it looks nicer than the Midnight.

i have cories with the shadow gravel and aquatic mix under it , so thats why i would go for it(been running for 5 months no problems) and all corries still have there wiskers

Cool. Think I'll go the shadow gravel + Dalton's route then.

Cheers for your replies guys :)

It can take a while for their barbels to become damaged and obviously some fish will be tougher than others. But if you want to have a fish whose only goal in life is to rootle in the substrate and sift particles through their gills, why would you not give them the substrate they need to perform. :dunno: It's like getting a goldfish and saying you want to keep it in warm water. The reason I'm saying this is because they are such sweet little fish and if you haven't bought the gravel yet there is nothing to lose by getting them something smooth.

But if you want to have a fish whose only goal in life is to rootle in the substrate and sift particles through their gills, why would you not give them the substrate they need to perform. :dunno:

For sure. If I got a substrate inappropriate for corys, I wouldn't put them in that tank.

I don't think I articulated myself clearly - the corys were never a primary concern - I wanted a substance that would be good for the plants and for use with Dalton's. and corys would be a bonus.

Cheers :)

So, doing a bit of reading, does this sound like it will work?

Layer 1: Daltons - ~3cm - is that enough?

Layer 2: Sand ~2cm

Layer 3: Gravel/Pebbles ~3cm

That is a really deep substrate. When I used daltons it was about 3cm thick, with 2cm of sand on top. I'd only put on a thin level of gravel but its all up to you :)