Unusually large taddy's?

Fruju

was a weird lot of morphs in that bunch.

this is more mutant, possibly just nibbled at tadpole stage and re-grew two mutant feet instead. :dunno: .

mutant1.jpg

mutant.jpg

That's a bit of a concern, was this frog from wild-caught spawn? They have been having serious problems with frogs growing extra limbs in the US. One of the major causes seems to be trematode infestation, although farm runoff and pesticides have also been blamed:

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/facultysites/pieter/documents/ComplexityFrogs.pdf

I personally find the trematode lifecycle facinating, and believed parasites shouldn't be hated for being extraordinarily good at what they do. But at the same time, it's not a good sign if interactions get out of balance like they have in the states.

That's a bit of a concern, was this frog from wild-caught spawn? They have been having serious problems with frogs growing extra limbs in the US. One of the major causes seems to be trematode infestation, although farm runoff and pesticides have also been blamed:

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/facultysites/pieter/documents/ComplexityFrogs.pdf

I personally find the trematode lifecycle facinating, and believed parasites shouldn't be hated for being extraordinarily good at what they do. But at the same time, it's not a good sign if interactions get out of balance like they have in the states.

Is a concern indeed. Those were some bred in captivity. Thankfully the only batch I have seen like that. Not so good they are being discovered in the wild here in NZ. Just recently, in March, a wild litoria aurea with five feet was found North of Auckland :-? .

Have had severe spinal troubles in the albinos tadpoles I have been raising. Tried all sorts to correct it to no avail. Fairly sure that it is another parasite (different to one that is likely to be the cause of extra limbs) that is known to infect native fish.

Truly fascinating that something so small, something seemingly irrelevant, could cause such destruction.

Interesting thing is, the albinos (and or anything related) seem to be more susceptible to infection leading to malformation. Possibly explained by way of the albinos are simply weaker, deficient or what ever? But from my observations in every other aspect they're just about, if not, as strong and as healthy as any other species I've raised. Therefore find it fascinating why they seem so prone to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is a concern indeed. Those were some bred in captivity. Thankfully the only batch I have seen like that. Not so good they are being discovered in the wild here in NZ. Just recently, in March, a wild litoria aurea with five feet was found North of Auckland :-? .

Have had severe spinal troubles in the albinos tadpoles I have been raising. Tried all sorts to correct it to no avail. Fairly sure that it is another parasite (different to one that is likely to be the cause of extra limbs) that is known to infect native fish.

Truly fascinating that something so small, something seemingly irrelevant, could cause such destruction.

Interesting thing is, the albinos (and or anything related) seem to be more susceptible to infection leading to malformation. Possibly explained by way of the albinos are simply weaker, deficient or what ever? But from my observations in every other aspect they're just about, if not, as strong and as healthy as any other species I've raised. Therefore find it fascinating why they seem so prone to it.

I didn't know they had been found like that in NZ; definately not a good sign, hope it doesn't occur in the natives!

I know what you mean about the troubles with albino tadpoles. I've tried raising wild-caught albino tadpoles; made three attempts, probably totalling 50 tadpoles and couldn't get a single one to the leg-growing stage. For the life of me I don't know what we were doing wrong. Initially tried to raise some alongside wild-type tadpoles in essentially a bucket of water; wild types thrived, albinos died in weeks. most recently kept some in a brooder tank that had flow-through from a native fish tank. Changed the water weekly and food daily and they died one by one over 6 weeks. Had UV lighting on a day-night cycle, frozen lettuce and beans for food, clean cold water. The only explanations I can think of is disease or suicide :roll:

I raised some albino tadpoles Ok I lost a few until I was told to keep them in green rainwater. Fed them on brine shrimp nuplii, microworms and fish flake. Kept them at 25 deg C. Got one which was a hunchback and one that remained smaller than the rest and 7 good and healthy. One mail and 6 females. Got spawn but eggs no good.