My Tank..

Kermit

Hi all i thought it was about time that i put some photos up for all to see,

Tank spec's:

Tank 48"L x 20"w x 18"h with 20Kg rock, 1" of sand, 2 x 2000L/hr circ pumps, and a 300watt heater.

Sump holds about 35L that has bio balls, Turbo skimmer, and 2400L/hr return pump

Lighting 2 x 150watt MH 10000k, 2 x 4' Actinic fluro's.

Fishies 2 x Polymous Clowns, 1 x Long nose Butterfly, 1 x Bicolour Blenny, 1 x Purple Tang, and 1 x Damsel

Inverts 2 x Anemone's, 1 x Clam, and a pile of leathers, brains, and 3 x tube worms.

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

As we all say, "the photos don't do it justice". :D

Actually they are really bad, i'll try to get some better focused ones.

Kermit

Yep, bioball = bad. Filter wool = bad. Infact as a general rule of thumb = bad

Bioballs... dump em. Filter wool... has it's uses, if you are willing to clean it (or change it) at least once a week, so as not to become a bio filter. I do and it gets rid of a lot of particulate matter which would otherwise decompose before the skimmer got to it.

Layton

Ok looks like i'll be doing more to the sump then expected this month.

I agree with Layton on the wool as i know it can cause more harm then good if left in for a long periods of time but i replace it every week with my water changes sometimes if its really ugly during the week i'll replace it earlier, and removes so much crap that would be still sitting in the sump if it wasn't there to remove it.

Cheers Wasp, its the second or third attempt with what i have as you can see the fish love the extra room at the end with no rock, when i was in Fiji i noticed there was more fish on the edge of the reef (the drop off) then actually in the reef (during the day) so i thought i'd creat a simular inviro.

At night they all sleep in the rocks crevises.

Will get more rock tho to hide the return pipe in the corner.

Just to calrify on the filter wool, I use it for 3 days then dump it, and do this about once a week. It is usually a dirty brown colour at that time. So FILTERWOOL = BAD should read FILTERWOOL_THATS_GONE_BIOLOGICAL = BAD.

3-4 days from what i've read is the most, a week is too long. But thats only what i've read, no way to really know.

I buy filterwool by the meter, costs me about $5 a month.

Pie