Breeding Wild Kribs

firefish

My wild kribs bred a few weeks ago. There were about 50 eggs. Over 24hrs the eggs reduced to 15, so I took the cave away to raise them myself, 10 hatched and i'm now looking after 6 fry. A week later I returned the cave and they bred again, more eggs this time. After a couple of days the eggs fell to the ground, and then I saw them wriggling. Then they were all gone :o I think it was the same female both times.

Are krib eggs meant to fall to the ground? Is there anything I can do?

Hi Firefish,

These guys are a lot slower than standard kribs.

Do youhave substrate on your tank bottom?

sometimes the krib wrigglers will survive in the substrae and as they get bigger will appear as a small cloud of free swimming fry.

ma and pa will try and defend them against other fish as best they can but they may be predated

hth

Nav

When they are hatched and wriggling is the best time to transfer them, but if you have no spare tanks what do you plan to grow the fry out in? I would probably leave them in the community tank and once they figure out how to be parents maybe some will survive.. Either that or buy another tank to transfer the pair or eggs/fry to and raise them up.

Thats hopeful for this spawn then! The first spawn the dad did no guarding at all and that left mum swimming to the other side of the tank to ward off enemies.

There is quite a large gap between the gravel and the top of the cave, so i'm thinking of slightly reducing it today so that they have less of an area to defend.