Hi from the UK

PWCottle

Hi everyone. My name is Pete Cottle and I am the sec of Strood & District A.S. in Kent UK. I have been keeping and breeding fish for 40 years and an F.B.A.S. a class judge for 20years. My particular interests are Pencil fish, Rainbow fish and Killies. I also keep a few of the more 'exotic livebearers -at the moment, Brachyraphis hessfeldi or as it was formerly known'Palenque' I will be in NZ during part of Sept and Oct in Tauranga-pity there is not a club there. (visiting relatives) Will try to catch up with some of you at shops etc.

HI. I missed all of the previous N v S arguments so I refuse to get involved! We have the same problem with England v Scots v Welsh v Irish. It never ceases. If I can get to a few fish shops N or S I will be quite happy. Something funny here. There is a traitor??? in the south??? I was recommended by a 'Southerner' to visit a shop in Tauranga! No prizes for guessing their identity! Time I signed off before there is a riot.

Pete

As I am sure you can tell Pete, the North V South is just a friendly thing. I don't mind confessing to having told you to visit a Tauranga shop either! :D

3/4 of our population lives in Auckland so, as you can imagine, it doesn't leave much for the rest of us. We don't have any fish shops at all where I live (although the local garden centre stocks the basics) and the nearest is 1 1/2 hours away.

I'm sure Bruce will be smug when I confess that - if I had to live in the North Island - I would choose Napier. :wink: I am also looking forward to our next trip there in October.

HI Pete,

Glad you found the NZ Fishroom, but being a fishy type you would have had to come to the best place in NZ :)

I'm an old "pom" that's been out here since '75 and I feel right at home here, especially now I've gotten back into keeping fish.

You won't find the variety and size of the TFS's (tropical fish stores) to be on the same scale as in the UK, but what we have, as far as I know, is pretty good generally. (I don't get out that often)

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I hope your stay in NZ is a pleasant one, but no smuggling our fish back to the UK :):)

Enjoy the long trip (I don't envy you after four trips) :)

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Hi Bill (Pegasus) Thanks for your comments. Browsing through the Anabantoids, I noticed you mentioned Betta macrostoma. Well if they are available in NZ I most certainly will be smuggling some back to the UK. I know they are not native to NZ but they are definitely not available in UK or much of Europe. Where are they? Pete

Hi Pete,

Seems you have been very busy reading the old posts.... Great stuff :)

The B. macrostoma was mentioned in relation to the various types of anabantoid, but not the types available here in NZ.

I don't know if these are available in NZ, and after looking down our "permitted imports" (Click on double fish icon at top of page) the only reference is to "Betta Fighting Fish" as being a collective species that are allowed here, so unless someone has a few hidden in their basement, I can't truthfully say if they are in NZ or not. :)

That particular topic was beginning to be one of the good discussions on the forum as it was beginning to reveal what types of anabatids were in NZ and what types members had heard of, but it suddenly faded, which was a shame.

More topics like that should be started for Cichlids, Catfish, Tetras and so forth.

Great to hear from you again and would love to hear about how the trade is doing in the old country if you fancy emailing me :)

BTW: We all know that this was meant in fun,

Well if they are available in NZ I most certainly will be smuggling some back to the UK.

but apparently MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries) monitor some of these boards, and I would hate you to be stopped at customs with a heap of Betta's in your bags :):)

Put a :) smiley on the back of it to signify you are just kidding :)

Nice place to retire if you fancy :)

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Bill. Yes I was kidding about the B. macrostoma. When we leave Auckland, we are off to Melbourne,Sydney, Bangkok and then home. I was particularly interested in B macrostome as it is one of the few that we cannot get in the UK. As you know, it is a very colourful fish and is highly prized. As far as I know, Brunei will not allow their export. Which is a great pity.

Pete said...

> As far as I know, Brunei will not allow their export.

> Which is a great pity.

Brunei is very twitchy about the export of any of its wildlife or

plants. There are a few things from there (ie Nepenthes and

so forth) that I wouldn't mind and there are some very nice

fish as well... ;-)

Andrew.