I have a mystery fry!!

blueyes

• 2 weeks later...

Too cool, thanks Sophia..... so they are around 3cm long now.... how big do you think they should be before I can put them into the main tank with everyone else?

I don't have anyone in there that would see them as food, but they might get lost in such a big tank..... oh maybe I'll keep them on their own for a little bit longer.....

At the moment they are just in a wee 30 litre tank on their own..... all the other fish which are tetra, Bristlenoses, peppered corys, panda corys, an SAE, Yoyo loaches and the clown loaches are in the tank I just set up so I would be putting them in there. Theres no one agressive in there and they are as big as a couple of the tetra now..... but I would really hate anything to happen to them ater watching them grow.... having said that would keeping them too long in the small tank stunt their growth at all?

Killies genetic predisposition is for them to live in a shallow mud puddle, so I don't think growth stunting is an issue in your tank. They are one of the most suitable fish for a small tank - mine is 33L and I have about 15 of various sizes so your guys are still in a mansion with just the 2 of them. Many people have them in tanks about that big or smaller, and breeders will have more in there too.

I think they will be fine in either tank - presuming the other tank has a lid. One of my big fry actually jumped right out this evening and landed on the floor with a full tummy. Gave itself a shock and went to hide on top of the filter when I'd put it back in. At feeding time it can get quite competitive!

You have plants and stuff so there are hiding places if they require. Your call in the end, if you aren't sure then leave them be a bit longer.

Well I did it, I put them in the big tank on Monday night..... checked them Tuesday morning and they were both hanging out at in one the corners at the top of the tank. Checked Tues after work and theres only one hanging out there, then Wed morning theres none, and I can't see them anywhere..... of course heres me thinking I've sent the poor little guys to their death!!!! I rearranged the xmas moss and lo and behold one of them comes flying out of it, the other is nowhere to be seen still though.

Then tonight at feeding time, I see both of them hanging out waiting to be fed..... so yay!!!!!

And they don't look as teeny tiny as I thought they would..... woohoo my babies are growing up!!!!! :bounce:

Hehe, they might be.... if I ever see them again lol

I think I've seen them once since the last time I posted!!!!!

I'm guessing they have probably just found themselves somewhere nice to hang out and hide until they are feeling braver (I hope)

Everyone is a bit mad with me at the moment though I think because I've only been feeding every second day as I noticed they weren't doing their housework and the tank is looking pretty yuck (partly my fault for overfeeding probably)

I think its working though, because I see everyone more as they forage around the tank for scraps..... they seem more active too.

I'm thinking of doing a little rearranging next week as I have the week off and I need to do a bit of a shuffle with the plants as some anonymous fish keeps digging down in the corners and unrooting the plants in those areas, so I am hoping that I will see the 2 babies when I do that, fingers crossed anyway.

Sounds like yours are doing really well Sophia, I just read your update thread :D

• 2 weeks later...

Lol.... but these were my "special" babies..... I can't figure out who would have eaten them though..... I guess it was probably one of the yoyo loaches, the weird thing is that there is a couple of random wee tetra in there that would be no bigger than the killies yet no one has eaten them!!!!!

They were special but they could still be hiding - Is it sand in the bottom or gravel? If it's a dark bottom they can hide pretty well. Also check the filter, I lost those 4 - they had to have either died and been eaten or found a way to get into the filter.

I had to move my 2nd male into the fry tank because he spent so much time hiding I could barely get him to eat. He would come out just about when I had given up. Now instead of being the smallest he's one of the largest so he's getting much more food. Also if they are 2 males they probably won't be hanging out together, they will be enemies!

Hehe, they might be.... if I ever see them again lol

I think I've seen them once since the last time I posted!!!!!

I'm guessing they have probably just found themselves somewhere nice to hang out and hide until they are feeling braver (I hope)

Everyone is a bit mad with me at the moment though I think because I've only been feeding every second day :D

Bingo!

Found themselves a snack while you weren't feediing them

The bottom is sand... I guess they could have just found really really good hiding place...... the filter is a cannister filter and I don't think they were small enough to have got into the intake, but I guess anything is possible, though I did just clean out the filter and didn't find anyone in there...... oh well, at least it has made my mind up that I definitely want to get some killies agsin at some stage, they are neat little guys and will definitely add some colour to the tank