Driftwood.

DiverJohn

Just purchased a piece of drift wood 2nd hand- nice big bit only 20 bucks!

Anyway, was supposed to be wet, but was dry. So put it in a chilly bin of hot water. Sunk no problem but the water went yellow :( Must be still leaching tannins (?)

Any tips on speeding up the process? Does hot water make any difference? Do you need to keep changing the water? Should i just throw it outside in the rubbish bin full of water and leave it for a couple of weeks?

Oh and i dont have a pot THAT big!! :-?

Purchased?? :o

I must have hundreds of dollars worth in my bath outside. Hokitika beach is a great place to find already waterlogged native hardwood (a bit far for you to go I realise).

Easiest to try is leaving it in a tub for a few weeks. Change the water every few days so you can tell if it has stopped leaching. Some do so quite quickly and others never stop. Perhaps that's why it was for sale - it wouldn't stop?

Purchased?? :o

Hokitika beach is a great place to find already waterlogged native hardwood (a bit far for you to go I realise).

If only i could have got into fish when we visited my Gran in Greymouth!

I hope it stops! It looks quite nice, and got a couple of good looking cracks for sticking plants in.

Cheers Caryl

you can get a little bag that you put into the filter and it removes the tannin from the water, clears it up really well. can't remember what it is called though! can find out, but a pet shop should know.

would be far easier than boiling it and soaking it for months!

plecs