Computer Network Query

paul_r

Ive got a quick question re: networking. I am helping out a family friend with some computer issues they are having.

They have:

PC running xp

Laptop running vista

Specs arnt anything flash but enough for day to day use.

While both machines are at home and plugged into the router ive set it up so the laptop can access the c: of the PC and its able to run version 19 MYOB at same time the user on the PC (has multi user license) this is working fine.

Now they would like me to set it up so that when the laptop is away from home it can still access the c: of the PC and run MYOB. Of course when away from home it will need an internet connection and the PC will need to be turned on.

Can anyone give some advice on how to get the network setup, i am computer literate but network is something ive done very little of

Thanks

i'm not familiar with MYOB but they will need to log into the network from where ever they are. is the laptop referencing files on the C: or are they just needing to view/copy or paste? I use teamviewer to access my PC, for updating logs off site from networked info we use a mysql program.

When away from home the network will consist of just the router & PC

The laptop will be referencing files, both the laptop and PC users will be working on MYOB at the same time.

I have tried to set up a VPN but since ive never set up one before its a bit over my head. i can get it working when both machines are at home but can see me having issues getting it to work when the laptop is away from home.

I have also been thinking that useing Remote Desktop Connection might be the way to go to log onto the PC when away from home. Then im not sure if RDC will work on the version of XP they are running

How do you rate team viewer? easy enough for users that arnt very computer literate?

If you want multi user and remote access, you will need a VPN. If you are happy to kick anyone off the PC and use it remotely via the laptop, you can use a solution such as TeamViewer. There are other options as well.

A VPN allows you to connect into another network remotely. It isn't the easiest thing to set up though, so this depends on your confidence level.

The only reasonable free solution is OpenVPN. You set up the server software on your network and then client software on the laptop. When the laptop is away, just open the OpenVPN client and log in. Then it's just like being on the home network.

Just thought of another VPN you could try using. I don't personally use it but I believe it's pretty easy.

Hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/UK/products/hamachi2/

A lot of people use it, so I'm sure you can find plenty of articles via google to help you set up file sharing.

edit: such as http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Win ... le_Sharing

I use a program calle logmein www.logmein.com.

very easy to setup.

and you remotely control the computer, only problem is that the computer must be kept on, very easy to use too.

I use it on my relatives computers to remotely support them, instead of having to drive across auckland for a few minutes tinkering.

Yeah, you want a vpn connection for the laptop but without knowing all the connection points and configuration of every step it'll be near impossible to tell exactly how to do it.

Most DSL routers come with VPN connectivity options but they're usually infrastructure based VPNs not client server VPNs. This means they're designed to connect one DSL router to another accross the internet to extend the private network behind both DSL routers. A client/server VPN enables the laptop to act as the router at one end and the server at the other, it's a whole other level and uses different technologies. So when a DSL router says it supports VPN connectivity it doesn't usually mean client/server unless it has some sort of certificate authority, RADIUS or similar server of it's own built into it.

If the PC is running XP you want to look for a VPN server application that will run on the XP machine. Maybe some sort of SSL VPN server?