Spotlighting

preacher

Hey all, I had the wonderful pleasure of hosting NZ's best kept secret to a spot I know on the Hutt River the other evening. It was a great night with lots of fish and shrimp around, and even a few small eels to boot.

In all our excitement I forgot to take photo's though, I don't know if Stella got any. So I went back last night for another round.

If I remember correctly Stella identified :

Adult Inanga

Baby Inanaga

Baby Koaro

Smelt

Shrimp

Short fin Eels

Common Bullies

I can't remember if we spotted a Crans that night?

and evil of evils... baby trout.

Here's some shots I grabbed last night.

Shrimp...

P1050522.jpg

P1050521.jpg

Baby Koaro (about 30-35mm long)

P1050524.jpg

Stella, do you remember I asked you a question about a year ago. I had some Galaxidds sitting out the water on a piece of wood... Here's 2 that were sitting on a rock at the river.

P1050520.jpg

And an Eel that was trying to get up the falls.

P1050519.jpg

P1050518.jpg

P1050515.jpg

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks so much for taking me out, it was great fun! My net still stinks of smelt...!

I didn't get any photos. The fish were so small it is hard work.

Love you growing shrimp eyes! And interesting seeing the eel trying to get over.

I do remember those photos of your koaro out of the water. Really neat finding some doing that in the wild. It is ringing bells for a conversation I had a little while ago with a lecturer, I will ask about it.

A decent fish pass really should go on that weir. I might have a talk to some people and get back to you with a cunning idea ;)

Ooooh please! That's something I have been thinking about for quite a while. Unfortunately there is no access to the opposite side of the weir so it is near impossible for me to see what its like that side. Given the river rarely floods above the level of the weir (I have no idea why it is even there... I assume its something to do with flood management.) It must be very difficult for the fish to pass upstream.

I wait with baited breath for your idea... :D

P.

• 1 month later...