filter output?

buzzy

hi if i have the input hose to the filter fully open and the output only half open to reduce flow for my discus tank will it wreck the filter or harm the fish? i would just put a big spray bar on it but my tank has a 2" lip around the top and cant find a big enough elbow to get around the bend, any ideas

Hi Buzzy-for elbows have a look in Mitre 10, they have elbows for use with their irrigation systems 4 or 6 in a bag (black in colour). I used them to put my intake under the gravel and towards the front of the tank where most of the gunk gravitates to. They fit in the standard hoses supplied with most filters. To make a U bend you will have to use short pieces of hose. Just remember the more elbows you use the more you will restrict the water flow so you may have to open the valve fully to achieve a good level of flow. Hope this helps-regards Gordon.

hi if i have the input hose to the filter fully open and the output only half open to reduce flow for my discus tank will it wreck the filter or harm the fish?

Nope, won't cause any problems, IMO you're better having it wide open and pointing it against the glass or similar to reduce the current, otherwise you're just wasting.