Spawning issues!

Stephanie

I have this very very nice orange crowntail I posted on here a few months back, he is one of the nicest looking fighters I have ever seen, and I bought him with every intention of breeding him and getting some good looking babies.

However, Mr. Orange decides that he likes the taste of eggs every time. I've spawned him three times now. He is the perfect fish, he doesn't chase his woman much, never ever takes pieces out of her fins like my others, but as soon as she is ready and they start spawning he gets overly keen, picking up all the eggs like he should, then he grabs her again and they start over. He doesn't spit the eggs into the nest!

Has anyone else had this happen? You'd think I'd starved him before I put him in the tank!

It's frustrating, i've just been watching him spawn as I write this, with my newest crowntail female, who's dropping alot of eggs now.

Advice would be appreciated, or Mr. Orange is going to have to live out his days in his own little bachelor pad. :roll:

Cool thanks, they've finished spawning now. He's guarding the nest, but I very much doubt there's many, if any eggs in it. Strange fish. Might give him one more chance in a couple of weeks and try that if he does it again.

It would typically be the best looking fighter that turns out to be the egg killer. :roll:

I think it must be. He knows he's pretty. All he did was swim up to her, flare, swim back and flare, for three days before he spawned. His less attractive but pretty in his own way brother seems to have no real issues. Maybe he carries the awesome genes and one day i'll have fry like Mr. Orange anyway. :roll:

I have several females, green, red, white body red tail, purple, every colour but orange it seems.

I'm not terribly fussy about what colour he produces fry with, I just want him to make babies just once even so I can keep his offspring with tails like him and breed nice colours from them.

I really want more orange eventually, that's my plan.

I have several females, green, red, white body red tail, purple, every colour but orange it seems.

I'm not terribly fussy about what colour he produces fry with, I just want him to make babies just once even so I can keep his offspring with tails like him and breed nice colours from them.

I really want more orange eventually, that's my plan.

with your spawn pick the best female closest to orange in colour, a red maybe and breed it back to the father,

your female will carry the gene for orange and breeding back to her orange father will give you a better chance at getting orange,

then you can set up a breeding pair from two siblings of that spawn or work on an outcross with another orange if your starting to get any deformates etc..

a little article on orange spotted fighters

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1757