anyone with Mercury energy -what do you think fixed pricing?

BikBok

I got an email form mercury offering to fix the prices for three years. To accept their offer , it would mean for us an increase on the unit charge from 24.33 cents to 26.66 cents per kWh (excl gst) and it would remain at that price for 3 years.

What do you think? Is the energy market about to become more competitive or is this a good deal?

As one of our valued customers, we're guaranteeing to fix your electricity prices for the next three years (this includes everything that makes up your electricity bill). No matter what happens in the energy market, no matter how much prices rise for other customers, you'll be guaranteed to pay the same per unit and daily charge for your electricity.

But you need to reply before the 19th of November 2010 as this great deal is a time-limited offer.

You could win three years of free power too.

One lucky Mercury Energy family has the chance to win free power for three whole years up to the value of $7,500. You will be entered automatically when you accept this great offer to switch to our three year fixed price plan today.

Fixed for three years: know what your costs are, no matter what.

As you know, over the last few years, energy prices everywhere, have risen. We believe this rising trend is set to continue.

To take up this offer, you'll pay a little more than your current prices - which works out at a daily charge increase from 33.33 cents to 33.33 cents and unit charge from 24.33 cents to 26.66 cents per kWh (excluding GST and before prompt payment discount). Then you can look forward to enjoying 100% certainty over the next three years, as the cost of your electricity is fixed.

the above mercury prices would add around $23-$30 to my monthly bill.

Powershop sounds good but when it first came out wasn't greatly rated by consumer. Since then it seems to have only got better. But I prefer to have gas and power all on one bill.

Does powershop mean having to constantly be reviewing the prices?

Does powershop mean having to constantly be reviewing the prices?

Nope, the most we've ever paid for powershop power was 23 cents per unit, the least 9 cents. We've gone from having over $500 bills in winter, to this last one the biggest we had was just under $300. That's one heck of a difference for doing nothing different but change power companies.

If you don't buy the power yourself, they automatically buy it at the lowest normal price (that isn't the best deal tho, that's when it's on special which it always is).

Hope that helps :).

You would have to discount the series of cashflows that relate to the rise in energy to the present day using an average interest rates of say 5% pa.

Take that figure and assuming 12 monthly payments over 3 years and monthly compounding; exclude tax payments. o.O

Now you get a number. Look at it and decide if it is worth the money :lol:

We signed up with Contact a year ago. They knocked on our door offering rates far cheaper than we had with Mercury, they said we would be guaranteed these for at least a year. At 11 months they send us a letter that on our anniversary is coming up and our rates will increase to their standard rate. Which is quite a bit more than we had with mercury. Cheers Contact! I guess it serves me right for jumping ship at the sight of a better deal.

Anyway changed to Powershop after doing a bit of research, looks pretty good.. 92% customer satisfaction on consumer cant be all bad. I guess i can always go crawling back to Mercury if things dont work out :roll: