Does anybody in east auckland have a kiln?

Joshlikesfish

Josh

Other than people that are pottery people, there will be very few that would allow you to use their kilns. My wife make porcelian dolls and will not even allow ceramics in her kiln. The fumes/colours settle on the sides of the kiln and can re-evaporate and "tarnish" the ceramics or even worst a doll. It normally shows as black dots. Clay is even less refined so would polute even more

why not use use that stuff thats similar to clay used for crafts that sets in oven?

I just happen to have a few packets of that stuff sitting in my room (geek?) and the labels do say non toxic, but do you think anything could leak into the water?

It's probably actually cheaper to buy them or use coconuts or something than to use that stuff.

Josh

Other than people that are pottery people, there will be very few that would allow you to use their kilns. My wife make porcelian dolls and will not even allow ceramics in her kiln. The fumes/colours settle on the sides of the kiln and can re-evaporate and "tarnish" the ceramics or even worst a doll. It normally shows as black dots. Clay is even less refined so would polute even more

Thats why I mentioned that I wanted to do clay caves. You meet people on the forums that are into all sorts of things. Worth trying my luck right?

Steph, Allister, I was hoping to make a bunch of natural as clay caves. If that stuff is tank safe it would be a good idea. I want to make a whole variation of cave. Bamboo, coconut, clay, slate, wood. Everything is worth a try

My mother used to do pottery at an arts/crafts centre and used to make me caves, they used to charge a small amount to chuck them in the kiln, I would ring around those sorts of places just make sure you make it out of the correct clay and have it completely dry before putting it anywhere near a kiln..

My mother used to do pottery at an arts/crafts centre and used to make me caves, they used to charge a small amount to chuck them in the kiln, I would ring around those sorts of places just make sure you make it out of the correct clay and have it completely dry before putting it anywhere near a kiln..

Sounds good :D

Could also use cement/mortar, depending on the fish you're keeping and the size of the tank. In a smaller tank with no wood it may have an undesirable [or desirable, depending on what you're keeping] effect on the water.
Plecs :wink: So a high pH isn't really what I want haha