Gigantic Bully ?

FuglyDragon

Just how big do bullies get ? Saw some in the Ashley river (close to the coast) that were allmost as long as my adult hand, definatly bully shaped and hugging the bottom, and in fresh (but tidal) water, but way bigger than any other bullies I have ever seen. I tried to catch one for a photo but water was too deep and too swift.

Not necessarily a Giant Bully, its not unusual for a common bully to be over 12cm, specimens of 15cm have been seen. The only real difference between the 2 species is the Giant has 6 spines in its Dorsal fin, the Common, 7 so it's almost impossible to tell without close examination.

P.

DROOL!!!

I would love to see a truly giant giant bully :hail:

I saw a photo of a student holding a giant. It stretched from her watch strap to at least an inch past her fingers!

And FAT! :)

Go back at night with a strong torch (and a couple of nets and a camera ;) ), they are pretty secretive, but more visible at night.

I have regularly found 10 - 15cm bullies in trout caught in lake ellesmere, (have released more than a few by pulling them out of the trouts throat with my forceps before releaseing both bully and trout) these ones were much wider at the head and generally much more bulky. I was planning to go out this evening but its been raining very heavilly here today so rivers will likely be dirty next few days, ill try to get back out later next week and see if i can catch one for a photo.