Rock pool fauna in a tropical tank

elusive_fish

I had an incident with my new tank involving a brass gate valve and im still not sure if my tank is polluted as such. All parameters look fine, including copper levels. But I don't have a way to test for potential zinc pollution.

Rather than test with something tropical (and therefore expensive!) I want to put some local test subjects in. I did find a triplefin and he looks to be doing ok (although Im not sure ive managed to get him to eat) but I hear fish are fare more resilient to copper than snails/shrimp.

Are most things I find in a rockpool ok to test? I saw a lot of little things zipping back and forth - are these mysis shrimp or some kind of pod? Can they go in ok? Cats eye snails or starfish?

Man, rock pools are FASCINATING places. I now have 3 catseye snails and 4 ghost shrimp and one limpet that had a cool looking piece of macro algae growing off his back in my tank. All look happy at this stage. The shrimp dont seem to like the strong current so much, but they look to be forraging around.

The triplefin I caught last time gorged on the copepods I put in. Looking very fat and happy with himself now.

I saw an awesome little octopus and was just blown away by his ability to almost instantly change colours. Black, orange, redish, grey. He was in a shallow wide pool and just kinda backed away from us, keeping his eyes on us the whole time. Even shot some ink. I was tempted to catch him, but i know he wouldnt last well at home. Pity really, what an amazing thing to watch!