Setting up an AR850

tinytawnykitten

Hey I am setting up one of these. This is probably a dumb question but the filter has 3 chambers, and the intake pipe takes the water up there and then I am assuming it sprays into the chambers through the pipe which goes across and has holes in it, and then flows out that outflow pipe which has a sort of flat end, back into the tank. When I turn the filter on, how do I get that flow going? Does this make any sense at all?

you are correct, the spray bar will spray it over the compartments.

as long as the water level is above the pump it will just flow, it will pump the water up when the level is a little below the power head but i don't think that is good for it for any length of time as i think the water helps keep the power head cool.

I have an ar850 aswell, if it is the stock filter pump just plug it in and it will start pumping, i never had to suck on a hose to get it going, just make sure the water level is right to the top of the tank, i got sick of the trickling sound of the water and fairly quickly went out and brought a cannister filter for thier quietness.

It is the stock filter and it just makes the motor sound without bringing any water up. Hmm.

Is it brand new? are you sure there is an impeller in it or is sumthing blocked because it should just start flowing water through straight away. I got caught once with the spray bar off and pluged it in and had a big water fountain going up into the air, water everywhere :roll:

Yeah, if it's making a noise and nothing is happening it'll most likely be the Impeller, especially if it's particularly noisy.

It doesn't take much for the impeller to give up the ghost, we had to buy a new one for our 380 the other day and it still didn't work, after close inspection we discovered the new one had wee pits on the magnet.

You shouldn't need to do any sucking, just turn on the power and away she'll go.

A lot of people seem to get annoyed with the noise after a while and get a canister, but we got a canister as well as the built in filter in our AR850 and the result is a very low maintenance tank with crystal clear water and brightly coloured healthy fish.

it is really weird that it isn't working. a couple of times my power head didn't go when plugged in, i took it off the bracket in the tank & gave it a shake & tap & it started. it must have been lightly jammed or something, try that. it won't be beneficial to syphon through it if the water level is above it like it should be.

I have a full collection of one of each AR models (except for the 510) and have used them now for about 3 years. Provided the pump is under water when it is turned on, the water should just automatically come up and into the compartments through the spray bar. If it doesn't, then there is definitely something wrong with your pump (they do go – I've lost a couple; they cost around $80 to replace from memory). You should never need to siphon start them.

When going, they are excellent filters – the pump is almost silent, but there is often, but not always, the water sound you speak of.

Let us know how you get on. :)