grass

critter_guy

Are you guys saying that you can buy hairgrass at garden shops, which would be cheaper than the LFS???? And if so what other plants can you buy from Garden centers that you can put in ya tanks???

My tanks always look so bear, and it would be good to get bigger plants in them so that it takes longer for the fish to destoy them.

Many aquatic plants are actuall grown emersed (ie. out of the water) as bog plants and can be slowly adapted to aquatic living. Baby tears immediately springs to mind. It is a common house plant and also found in aquaria.

The well known spider plant can survive quite some time underwater although will eventually die off as it is not a bog plant. Same with the peace lily.

Try getting a few bog plants from the garden centre and experiment. They are certainly cheaper to buy from a garden centre. They need to be slowly drowned rather than suddenly dumped underwater.

Try getting a few bog plants from the garden centre and experiment. They are certainly cheaper to buy from a garden centre. They need to be slowly drowned rather than suddenly dumped underwater.

Oops :oops: How do you slowly drown a bog plant rather than putting it straight into the tank?

The lileopsis in my tank was all bought from a garden centre and was growing emersed. I put them in a plastic bin with water halfway up the sides of the pots, then gradually increased the water over a period of 3 weeks.

I didn't know if it was what was recommended but it seemed to make more sense than suddenly drowning it. They are still looking very happy fully immersed in my tank and they've been there 3-4 weeks now.

Cheers

Jude

PS. The 3 wk time period was because that's how long I had to wait for my new tank to arrive - so its probably possible to do it more quickly