what should i get?

plecs

Congratulations!!!:D:D

Sounds like a Royal to me. As plecs said it has red eyes, and thats just like Royals. Does it look like these - ROYAL PLECO?

Can you get any pic's?

BTW, if it is a Ryoal you will need to make sure that you have pleanty of driftwood/bogwood in the tank as this is an important part of their diet. Also, the produce a large amount of waste/sawdust so you will need to keep up with the water changes!! I haven't ever kept one, but this is just what I have learn't form reading heaps of stuff about them on the net.

Cheers, CatBrat.

hi guys,

I looked at planetcatfish, thats how i decided it was a royal. looks like the olive green royal most, which is the L027b but dont think is it that green.

so far it has only been out once, has been hiding the rest of the time. Will have to get some driftwood. it is in my large shipwreck so far.

Do all plecs produce the same amount of waste??

It is a shame it is so shy, obviously one wants to see there fish!

and dont worry Kim, am still coming! hopefully the end of Jan!

the trick with catfish that hide is to make caves that you can see them ....

get some wood and make caves then you can have the best of both worlds, you dont want it to make the ship its home or you will never see it.

i find when i put plecos in a new tank i feed them asap so they come out more and it works.

i hate to say it but they are as hard as a goldnugget.

but feed it right and good water changes and you will keep it for many many years

feed it jbl plecochips it has the wood in the food!!!

glad to hear your still coming up :D

great, should have gone for the gold nugget. prettier! wouldnt come out to eat as did put food in. you love those JBL food dont you kim! will have to get some driftwood and remove the wreck. my black ghost knife fish loves his wreck though.

and obviously catbrat a small fish will make less mess than a large one! will se how it goes. shame he is so shy. also wanted the golden black eyed bristlenoses but she got the royal instead. will get some when i come up.

can you put plecs in cold water? know someone who has done it, just wondered what you all think? then i could have another in the goldfish tank!

thanks

and obviously catbrat a small fish will make less mess than a large one!

LOL, I know, sorry :oops: :wink:. But it really depends on their specific diet and how much food they eat! I think that fish which live in a faster current (for example Queen Arabesque Pleco’s, L260) have a faster metabolism, so they would need to eat more and therefore produce more waste. This compared to fish such as Crocodile Whiptails, which come from much slower moving waters, so they would have a slower metabolism and produce less waste. Does anyone one know if this is correct?

Most plecs are from tropical conditions, so I wouldn't really recommend it. But having said that I have seen Common Pleco's and Sail Fin Pleco's in cold water set-ups and I have heard that Bristle-nose Pleco's can also live in cold water. Or what you could do is to take the Gold Fish out and turn that tank into a Pleco community tank :D, well that’s what I would do anyway :wink:.

Taking the Ship out sounds like a good idea to me. If you can find a nice piece the BGK would probably feel just as comfortable with that as with the Ship, and it also looks much more natural :D.

I would recommend that you give the Royal Plec some Zucchini or pea's for it to eat at the moment.

Will you be able to get any picture's of it? I would love to see some :hail:

Cheers, CatBrat.

:lol: yes i like jbl because its a natural food , the plecochips are the only one on the market that have wood in them and they make the fishes jaw work.... most of the other food is soft and the fish doesnt have to work for its food, also with the plecochips you can leave them in in the tank for 24hrs and they dont break down and go into the gravel. (go JBL :lol: )

the royals are lovely when they get bigger and you can get a good price for it if you want to sell it in a few years....

you could put a blue catfish light on your tank at night if you find he is shy after a few weeks.... that means you can see him and enjoy him more, also have you tried putting a black ghost home in your tank they are great if your fish will use it (you can use a gravel cleaner tube to see if it will go into it.

thanks for the replies guys.

will try and get you a photo, will wait for a friend to help as she is much better at downloading things than me!

i have removed the shipwreck, they have a small jug, which the knife and plec are sharing!!! I will get some driftwood tomorrow for them. I only just heard about the clear tubes, will try my old gravel syphon, great idea Kim!

i tried the jbl plec chips on my last plec, and he didnt eat them! will try again.

dont think my knife fish is getting enough food, he has hardly grown at all!

its good they keep their value so i could sell him in years to come. but for now i am going to add two golden bristlenoses and another plec.

Might get a normal goldspot to put in the cols water tank, see how it goes. would be good to have an algae eater in there too!

Want to get one of the blue catfish lights Kim, what make are they? and what is there proper name? will try and order one in. does it work like a blue moon light?

hope your days were good! :D

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!!!!

today i got a gold nugget! it is a really pretty one! really nice spots, was love at first site, so stuck the sold sign on him and proceeded to show him off to all my fish customers, who all wanted him too!

fingers crossed he lives! want to sex him so i can try and get a mate, just not sure how!

plecs

here plecs this is off planet catfish

According to Vires, "Dimorphism is difficult to notice unless the fish are at full breeding size. Probably the easiest way to sex these fishes is by the shape of their foreheads. Males have a flatter, more leveled slope to their foreheads and are slightly wider. Females have a more rounded forehead and are slightly plumper when in spawning condition. There is no noticeable difference in odontodal growth in either species."

also i wouldnt recommend getting another as these guys fight like hell with each other and are quite hard to breed by needing super fast current flowing directly into there cave and othere things heres a good linkhttp://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2000_12.php

thanks for that kyle,

i know they dont seem to like eachother but had hoped that a pair would get on ok????!!!!!! he/she is beautiful so even if i dont breed from it it will still make a great addition to the tank! as long as it doesnt hide all the time!

thanks again

plecs :lol: