what should i get?

plecs

hi, I posted a thread in the general freshwater and then found this area! so will try here too. I want to get a cool plec, i am getting two golden black eyed b.n's, but want a cool plec too. have dark gravel so needs to stand out. fairly hardy too. wanted a golden nugget but am getting put off them! any ideas??? Thanks

thanks sue :)

the tank is four foot, heated, well planted, i have a fair few cory's of different types, kuhli loaches, black ghost knife fish, some cardinals, rainbows, cherry barbs, borneo suckers and a lonely serpae tetra. I am getting two black eyed golden b,n's, they dont grow very big. really keen on a cool plec, that will show up well, get on with all and not too likely to die on me!

Thanks!

Hi there plecs, welcome to the site :D

I have also read a lot about the Gold Nuggets being very fragile, but I have never owned one. There are heaps to chose from, but a few that come to mind that I have seen up here in Auckland are...

Lemon Spotted Green Pleco (L200)

Para Pleco (L075)

Blue Phantom Pleco (L128)

Queen Arabesque Pleco (L260)

Just to name a few. I don't know what’s available in PN, but have a look around and ask your LFS what they can get in for you.

Ask if you need any more help.

Cheers, CatBrat.

Well there are a lot more species of Pleco's in NZ than you would think!! But, often you only ever see one or two of some of them.

If you don't want too order them in, I'm not sure what you could do :-?. I don't like ordering them without seeing them either, but if you can't get them it's often the only way.

Good luck....

Cheers, CatBrat

i only have about 300+ golden black eyes left to sell :lol:

and i always have a few plecos at the moment i only have the gold nuggets and a blue pleco,

and my pair of Blue Phantom Pleco (L128) so once they get fat i will be putting them down to breed so i will be selling them cheep as well :wink:

also commin plecos and b/n

but i will order any plecos in

hi all, have decided a trip up to Auckland is needed! what shop do you own Kim?? and where is it? and Hollywood Fish Farm, is one of the two better than the other?

how much are your blues and gold nuggets Kim? have you found that the golds die easily?

thanks for all you help everyone! :lol:

plecs it would be great to meet you :D

my shop is on the north shore easy to find.

go over the bridge take the northcote rd off ramp

turn left go past the pub on the right.....

thru the lights .... stop if they go red :lol:

thru the roundabout up big hill, (ocean view rd)

up top of hill turn right into pupuke rd then next left into lydia ave

and you can find me

shops name pupuke aquarium

i dont no what plecos we have left as i have the xmas holidays off this year , a first time in 12yrs .

but my golden black eyes are $20 each and i have lots

i can order plecos if you want and i do them cheaper if i dont hold them.

i have not had much trouble with the gold nuggets , i was the first person in nz to bring them in many years ago.... i had a few die then but have found good water.... good flow and great food helps

i feed them a mix of blood worms, shrimp pellets, driftwood, the jbl catfish food.

even brineshrimp.

oh and a great food for them is dead fish .... if your fish dies and you know why and how it died you can feed it to it THAT IS THE BEST FOOD!

both the hollywood shops are great , i have got fish for my own tanks from both shops but i do think the older one might have more cat fish.

thanks Kim, especially for the stop if the light is red advice, would never have thought of that one! :lol:

will let you know if and when I am coming, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. and let me know what you have in if you have time after you go back from your break! is it a big shop?

Thanks

plecs

its not a big big shop but we only sell fish and have been owner operated from 31yrs so we should know what we are talking about :lol:

i have been running it full time for 12yrs and as odd fish are my fav i normally have all the odd ones i can get my hands on.

we will be putting a big order in when i get back.

if you want to see the butterfly pleco look at my pic of the fish show because i have photos of robs lovely catfish

hi guys

I now have an emporer plec, friend bought it for me. It is about 5 inches long, and is kind of like a zebra but the stripes are way less obvious. She said that was what he is. anyone know anything about them, want to find out a wee bit more. he is pretty cool, has red irises which is cool. Anyone know about them???

Thanks