Just purchased 2 snake necks

jc254

Well I have purchased two snake necks for 250. They came with a 2ft tank, ehim filter, double light hood with bulbs. So i think i got a pretty good deal. I plan on moving them into a 3ft tank when i get them neck week as they are only small.

Question = I am moving to Christchurch in Feb, how would I get them down? also would it be better to ship the tank down or buy one when i get there? if so what does a 3ft tank go for down there?

Thanks

I'd suggest you contact 'insideoceans' when you get down here for a tank :) Or get one ordered for when you arrive. :) They would be OK in the 2ft very short term if you are moving soon. Just maximise water volume and keep up your weekly water changes... (total changes )... and use a good external filter. Snake necks dont tend to climb out and bask as readily as the RES. They are much better with a natural piece of wood that they can climb up onto and get out of water when they feel safe etc. They are better with the UVB REPTILE light over the basking and water area as tend to 'float' on water surface and can absorb UVB that way. The UVB only penetrates a small amount (cant remember how much off hand) into water in a tank, but they have shell out of water when floating, so will get benefit from light on water. Quite different to the RES who need to get out of water and be completely dry. :D Dont put stones in your tank...more water volume and much easier to clean... and turtles will eat stones and can die. Be careful with a completely enclosed lid as condensation can cause respiratory and shell rot issues. Also the snakenecks need a different diet to the RES. Basically a fish/ live foods diet. Worms, snails, insects, Hot House turtle food, feeder fish etc. (Tho my little 'Minnie' -avatar photo-was munching on the end of a piece of kumara skin last night... very cute...but not usual :lol: )