electric yellow circles

newbees

hi a question on breeding e yellows, sooo since the time i woke up yesterday and looked at our tank till thismorning alll day yesterday and im assuming all night our e yellows have been circling each other litterally nonstop and usually in the same place, i looked on youtube for spawning cichlids and it looks like this but not for any where near as long as these guys have been going im getting rather dizzy watching them, and wondering if they are breeding or fighting i only have two tho, and hard to tell if they are males or females? thanks

probably 2 males ,males have a long slender anal fin and usually have more black than females how big are yours? yellows need to be in a ratio, usually 1 male to two or three females so the aggression is spread out.Have you got the right ph? a big enough tank?

i agree with matt, IME the behavior you have described never directly resulted in fry. When a male is trying to get a female to breed there is lots of chasing but not usually round & round in circles, if they did it wouldn't be for long as the female will try to escape.

yea i thought that it was quite extreme circling, one of them as gone quite dark around the face, possibly the dominant one?? we got them off a guy who was clearing out his fish and sold them real cheap, got peaches and dems from him too so we got what he didnt want, we are planning to get more e yellows when we have the tank set up properly just going slow so we dont overstock too fast. last time i checked th ph was at 7.8 and the tank is 800l with a length of 1.8m so there is plenty of room to get away, im going to do a water change today and re arrange the rocks and stuff to make different territories, thankyou i love it how helpful everyone on here is! :) :) :) :)

hopefully this link will work didnt know how to load photos but heres a link for photobucket http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... CF0382.jpg soooo i dont know if it will show?? its just the tank next to me a work in progress the stand has ALOT more support and 50billion coats of paint and sealers so hopefully it wont swell!

• 1 month later...