Kribs laying eggs !!!

Billaney

Hi

My Kribs are laying eggs!! On the side of the pump...what do I do now??

From what I remember they are good parents right ?, should I just leave them or take them out if so , both or just one and which , sorry to throw this out like this but I have never had egg layers before and would love to see them hatch.

A little detail:

They are in a tank by themselves, (isolated them because they were being aggressive, I now know why,

The pump sees quite powerful, a strongish current but they seem to like it, is that ok for the eggs?

All help greatly appreciated.

Paul

BTW, i have pictures and video of them laying

Hi Paul

Yes they are great parents, the eggs will be fine where they are, dont forget to start a brineshrimp culture if you can.

The parents will move them around from time to time so dont get alarmed if you see them with babies in their mouths :-)

Congrats

/Bruce

What concerns me is the fact that the filter will pull the babies into it.

You say

The pump sees quite powerful, a strongish current but they seem to like it, is that ok for the eggs?

You could use an air-driven sponge filter, or an u/g filter, or with such a low bio-load in the tank, nothing.

If the tank is a well matured, used, set-up, the parents will take the babies out browsing and no supplementary feeding will be necessary.

If not, and you are going to feed the BBS.

DON'T feed that until the babies are free swimming.

Prolly 4 plus days from hatching.

Wriggling on the bottom, in pits etc, is not free swimming.

Wait for them to come up in a cloud, THEN feed them BBS.

There isn't any big rush.

You may want to take the babies out at about 10 days after this stage too.

I didn't :( and paid the consequences,

Mum and Dad had a big feed.

Not next time tho.

Good luck

Alan 104

To stop my babies going up the shute I tied a piece of netting around in the intake - it does collect the dirt and needs to be rinsed out now and then but it saves the babies!

I had one of those breeding tanks that was just a plastic frame with netting that fitted over the frame and tied up, I used the netting from that but you could get some from any good fabric shop! If you do that give it a good wash it very hot water to remove the sizing & to soften it.

Maybe you could even take apart one of those net bathroom cleaners you can get at your local supermarket!

Mother is keeping a close eye on the eggs , fanning them from time to time and father is mading sure the area around is safe ( would be the easy part as there alone in the tank)

All the eggs seem to still be in the same place , i had read they sometimes move them around but not yet.

She seems to be digging a pit behind the pump, i think this is where the babys will go after they hatch but before they can swim.

so all looking good so far :lol: :lol:

Cause they don't swim like BBS, and just sink to the bottom and if not eaten drown, and if fed in abuundace, pollute the tank.

Mind you the same happens if you over feed BBS.

I have bare bottoms for all my fry tanks and have a snail or two in there to act as a hoover.

Alan 104

Well all the eggs are gone from the side of the pump , I'm hoping they have moved them or, which i think is more likely, they may have hatched and are wriggling behind the pump where the mom seems to be all the time.

I can't see back there so thats my hope , it seems consistant with what i've read so i now have a 4-5 day wait to see if I'm right, fingers crossed :wink:

My kribs ate the first couple of hatchings, then all of a sudden they figured it out and they were off!! After that they either had eggs or young fry most of the time.

I did end up putting them in a small very well planted tank of their own though as, apart from being extremely aggressive with any other fish when they had eggs, had a feeling it was having the other fish present that encouraged them to eat their eggs/fry.

Haven't got them now as I needed their tank for the rams, and lfs wasn't always eager to take the fry. Living up here it's easier to breed fish that I can find a ready market for.

sue