Shortfinned Eel tank redecoration

fishbreeder

Hello, i want to redecorate my short finned eel tank. I want to give her/him a rocky backdrop with hide holes and maybe some land with ponds/little streams/water fall, and some plants.

i just got it back and all i have for it is a log, some substrate and water. and i dont think thats very nice considering my tropicals have a cool tank.

can i use silica sand in my eel tank? i want something nicer than just plain gravel.

if anyone can help it would be awesome

If you check out a local river you will probably find areas where finer gravel and sand builds up. Gathering gravel from a river can take a bit of picking around to get what you want, but ultimately looks awesome. By having some variation in size, and having larger stones of the same rock type, it winds up looking SO much more natural compared to bought graded gravel/sand.

Trust me, you won't regret it ;)

Also if it is a small eel it will probably burrow into the gravel and become quite hard to find, but that is what they do. I think natural behaviours should be encourage :)

While you are there, take a look around for some nitella, a native branching algae that looks like a plant and grows like mad in low-light conditions, sucking up nutrients. Do a google image search for it.

Not sure why you would want to create land areas for it. While they can come out onto land when motivated, they are fish.