trav's Juwel rio 180

trav

i decided to keep this tank as i love fish to much to just give up :D:D so i set it up yesterday and put some plants in hopefully will be getting some more my plan is to put my dats in there my 2 indo's wat do u think ? any ideas?:) oh and how long until i can put fish in? the tank smells like chlorine put i think its the plastic as it is new so i dont knw?:)

anyway here are the pics:)

alannascam027.jpg

alannascam026-1.jpg

alannascam025-1.jpg

alannascam023-1.jpg

yeah i have got florish excel wat do i need to do with it i heard that i can double the dose becasue there is no fish in there? and willl get one when i go to lfs i set it up yesterday and how long till fish can go in? any more ides on fish maybe or more plants etc?

See how its going pink?

That's what it does when it is dying. I would keep up with the excel.

I do like the substrate. You might need a thicker layer if you want to have broader sword plants in there.

Also rethink the positioning of the plants based on what they will grow into; and not what they look like now.

A while ago I set up a similar tank at work spending a fraction of what I would if I was setting up a tank at home. Here's a pic - http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp11 ... 010253.jpg

Notice how I stuck to the green plants because of the juwel stock lighting. Crypts, green swords and green stems are your friends in a juwel tank.

I havnt put any excel in should I ?? Because that's the only plant with the algea going pink? Wow! Love the tank! The grave is at an angle so short in the front thick in the back. And I was think I will get a bac ground but way I want as a back ground is a wall of plants so like u put up sometime like they use to grown vines up on the back wall and grown a plant that grows realy fast and grown it up the wall so that will be my background?:) is it possible? And how long till good Algeas grow so I can put fish in?

See how its going pink?

That's what it does when it is dying. I would keep up with the excel.

I do like the substrate. You might need a thicker layer if you want to have broader sword plants in there.

Also rethink the positioning of the plants based on what they will grow into; and not what they look like now.

A while ago I set up a similar tank at work spending a fraction of what I would if I was setting up a tank at home. Here's a pic - http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp11 ... 010253.jpg

Notice how I stuck to the green plants because of the juwel stock lighting. Crypts, green swords and green stems are your friends in a juwel tank.

Ahhhh get that yucky gravel out of there :lol:

I was talking about the tank that P44 set up. I agree with you needing to spread the plants out, mine looked empty to start with but within a couple of weeks my plants were huge so was glad I planted it the way I did. Personally I wouldn't of put that colour gravel in, it just looks too red and brown with the stand and all. I like sand.

ok i put a little tetra in to test the water and he or she did the same thing this time as he did the last time ? i put bio noddles from my 6 foot in the juwel filter so that some algea can start growing and what the fish do is they go to the top of the water like brathing from the top of the water? has this happend to anyone else with juwel tanks? when i first set it uup the water smelt like plasticy so i took most of the water out (there was no fish in the tank) and put new water in now it dosnt smell bad but the fish still do the same thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I have got a problem i put the dats in and they both unstable one of them is never ever unstable ? :( i am pretty woried abt them is there anything i could do i was thinking is it because of the lights? please would like a reply thanks will upload pics as well ask any questions the ph is the same as the tank they came from 6.0 and i put stress syme and stress coat in 2-3 days ago? pics in next post

If you're worried about the water quality, just keep doing water changes and adding seeded filter media from old tank(s). Just make sure you don't take too much media from the old tank(s).

And if fish are gasping at the top it usually means the water isn't oxygenated enough, just make sure you have enough water surface agitation, i know some of the pre-made tanks have poor amounts of water agitation with the overhead filters.