Apisto I.D.

land_lubber

Well she is hiding alot. She only comes out when there is food or if she sees the male. She certainly has changed colour I did manage to get a pic yesterday when I put in some mosquito larve but haven't put them on my computer yet and she doesn't look as fat as she was. I'm surprised that it hasn't taken them very long to breed, it kind of caught me off guard otherwise I would have moved the other female earlier.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, good one! That male was about half grown but his dad spawned first at about that size too. I find the females to be very aggressive toward the males but the males aren't nearly as aggressive toward the females in courting. Keep us updated.

Too bad that the female died, there are precious few in the country at the moment.

My advice would be to nab some fry asap.. There seems to be some curse around with apistos in NZ where they only tend to breed once and then loose the parents, they parents usually end up eating the fry and then you are stuck with nothing, always best to nab a few fry so you at least have some chance of keeping them ticking over.

I know what you mean Land_lubber. I took about half a day trying to catch my Agassizi female as she changed colour and blended in with the oak leaves. When I did spot her, as soon as she saw the net she would disappear. I ended up removing the oak leaves and managed to corner her. It wasn't long after that, that she died, right in line with Ryan's Apisto curse theory :o

Ok, here's a summarization from Jan, 1997 TFH's Wayne's new World.

Correlation between temp & sex ratio was significant for 33 species.

At 23C ratio was skewed towards females.

At 29C " " " " males

A. caetei was an exception which did not skew relative to temp.

However, pH was a role in A. caetei which did not influence the others

as did temp.

There does seem to be windows for when temp can make a difference.

Broods transfered to the opposite temp had the following results

After 33 days had characteristic of their initial spawning temps.

Up to 3 days had the characteristics of the final temp in transfer

After 3-33 days had a proportional and linear distribution relative

to the time line (so transfer at 15 days produced a nearly 50/50 ratio).

Source

You can sex hongsloi from about 3-4 months although some are a bit ambiguous for a while. :roll:

I siphon mine at 7 days (just before they are free swimming) and feed them BBS and microworms as soon as the yolk sac is no longer visible (day 8 or 9).

I took the fry away from the mother this morning and counted 55 of them and they all still have there yolk sacks. I put them in an ice cream container and they are floating in a different tank. My next question is, how long should I wait before I put the male back in with the female?