sick cardinals tetra

Vervo

we have got 4 tetras died last 3 weeks, I just looked it up online, I think it is the so call Neon Tetra Disease.

We also have school of rummy nose tetra, they are fine.

we also got 1 cardinals tetra, it has a pop eye, sO i've been treating some tonic and some melafix saome days....

I've just look at his eye, which has been poping for more than 2 weeks, it just got worse. There's a worm like in the eye, but it's stilled and neon, it was there before, really small i thought was just caused by it's body nature, but now it looks like neon worm in the pop eye....

Well, any solutions to my fish problem?

:hail:

Hi Vervo.

Can I ask how big your tank is and how many fish you've got in there? How often are you doing water changes and how much water are you taking out of the tank at each time?

Pop eye is a symptom of something rather than an actual illness in itself. It is most commonly caused by bacteria, but it is hard to know how to treat it without knowing exactly what has caused it. I've had fish with mild pop eye before and have got rid of it by upping water changes and using a bit of melafix - basically, keeping things extra clean and healthy in the aquarium to let the fish's immune system take care of it.

we have 140l tank, but about 110l water in, external canister Filter, change 25% water once or twice a week, planted tank, co2 system stopped for 4 weeks now, 7 rummy nose, 2 small discus, 2 small clown loaches, 1 golden ram, 1 tiny clown loach, 1 6cm golden bristlenose pleco and now 8 cardinals tetra, was 13.

we had 3 cardinals tetra died so far, included the pop eye guy, but he had that 1 pop eye for 3 weeks.

1 more cardinals tetra is dying as according to the description of the Neon Tetra Disease disease, losing colour, bent body, swimming oddly, I have been putting tonic, it kinda help him survive, despite that it should be flush down the toliet by now, but does not looking any better.

:roll:

we heard it is ok to be a little over stock if it is heavy planted, and most of our fish are small.

we aware that the clown loach and discus will grow big, but we are thinking to upgrade our tank in the future.

forgot to mension we got 3 black line flying fox too(4~5cm)

note:

2 clown loach 7cm each

rummy nose 2~3cm

discus 4cm and 3cm

A little over stocking is fine; but that is more than just a little overstocked given water changes are only small and done once every week or two.

I'd be doing at least one 50% change a week without fail if not more than that.

You'd almost certainly stunt discus that are that small with your current WC regime, so first course of action will be to increase the frequency of WCs.

That will most likely solve the issue with cardinals popping off as well, as I believe it has more to do with water quality than any thing else.

it's approx 32.48 inch. we got 35 gallonish so we are alright 8)

The old 1" per gallon rule doesn't really work that well. Have you looked at the aquadvisor (spelling?) website to calculate the safety of your stock levels?

At the end of the day it could be a number of different things but it certainly sounds like you've got a lot of fish in that tank.

ok here's the result with approx actual fish sizes too

and if it is all adult fish, it would be 225% over stock, but we are not, as we have young fishes not all adults. :bounce:

updated* the filter is 430L/hr

it's this line that's the telling part

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Although, now that I click on your link again it doesn't say that any more... It was definitely there the first time.

it's this line that's the telling part

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Although, now that I click on your link again it doesn't say that any more... It was definitely there the first time.

yeh, cos the first time got the filter rate set to 113l/h, which was wrong.

correction that we are using ELITE CRYSTAL FLO 40 CANISTER FILTER. with ammonia remover filer media.

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=1661

yeh, cos the first time got the filter rate set to 113l/h, which was wrong.

correction that we are using ELITE CRYSTAL FLO 40 CANISTER FILTER. with ammonia remover filer media.

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=1661

Ok, fair enough. I'd be taking that water down to your LFS for a test anyway, just to be sure the filtration is all working well. Otherwise, I hope you find out what's causing these deaths, it sucks to lose a fish let alone a bunch.