Do Jewel Cichlids & Silver Dollars go together okay?

Dawn

My new 215 litre tank has nearly finished cycling and the ammonia is down to zero now thank goodness. There were already six juvenile Jewels in it (four of them are leaving soon) and two nights ago I added two Jack Dempseys one of which is rather large (about 8cm or so)! Earlier this evening I transferred my three Silver Dollars to that tank also - but now I'm not so sure I've done the right thing!

The whole lot of them are all down one end and just sitting eyeing each other when the Jack Dempsey is not head-butting them! I've left one of the lights in the tank on all night just in case but I'm a bit worried now.

Do you think they will settle down and start to tolerate each other or should I remove the SDs before something tragic happens? :cry:

stand-off.jpg

I'd have thought that they would have been ok, for the time being anyway as the JD and Jewels still look quite small. Keep an eye on things and if they still haven't settled in after a week or two it might be better to move them. Things might change as they grow though, as Alan says watch the JD. You might need a bigger tank if they are all to co-habitate long term.

Thanks everyone. Well, they survived the night okay and so far they seem to have settled in quite well. I'm surprised to see that they are all out and about now whereas before the SDs went in the Jewels were hardly seen and very skittish when they did come out.

Sue - yes I was a bit worried about the ammonia because I was supposed to have sold four of the Jewels by now but it fell through because the person thought she could put them with her Guppies & Tetras! However, they are sold again so will be gone soon - I hope!

Nice photo of them all BTW Dawn, got some more? :lol: sue

Yes I do Sue - this one is rather unusual of The Boss (Jack Dempsey)

the-boss-2.jpg

And one of the Silver Dollars

silverdollar.jpg

I could probably bore you all silly with the photos of my fish!

There's a totally different one of The Boss in the Off Topic Fishroom, it doesn't look like the same fish:-

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=4554

SD's don't get that 'big'. Well not as big as the likes of Tin Foil barbs or Silver Sharks (or even Pacu's) which people also use to co-habitate as dithers in cichlid tanks to make the cichlids feel more at ease. I'd call SD's medium sized fish, but I guess it's all relative.

Sue - my camera is nothing flash - a Sony cyber-shot 1.3 mega pixels, it's a digital still camera DSC-P20 whatever that means! I take a full chip of photos each time I'm taking some and just keep the ones that come out any good, sometimes only one or two! When you're taking fish you're never sure they're going to turn out to be in focus or not.

I don't really like to post too many photos on here but you can see more on my webpages, adding more all the time:-

http://photobucket.com/albums/v616/Pandoras-Fish/

http://www.freewebs.com/pandoras-fish/

Alan - have another look at the previous posts, as far as I can see the photos are still there, maybe PhotoBucket was down for a short while last time you were here.

Midas - ah so that's why the cichlids are not hiding any longer since the SDs went into the tank.