planted tank

nativelover

I have started a small 600 x 300 x 300mm using mineralized soil mixed with vermiculite to about 20mm and 40mm of Dalton's propagating sand on top.

Substrate does matter and can be the make or break of a good planted tank.

Dalton's propagating sand or some other coarse sand works well. P44's suggestion of Flourite is also good but it can be expensive. Loads of info is available about the pros and cons of different substrate.

$10 for the lamp plus $7 for the bulb. Two of these so $34 on lighting. Filter I grabbed from an old tank, cost me $70 new. Heater was around $25 and sand was $6 for 25L, did not need all of it. Of course you can get cheaper new or second hand filters of TradeMe but this adds up to $134.00. Plus plants and fish too.

I'd recommend getting a cheaper filter off TradeMe.

HTH

cool i have a filter but am unsure if it would be good its an elite stingray 15 ?

I'd use that for extra circulation to keep algae at bay and avoid dead spots. You'll need something in the 500l/h zone really, take into account fancy fish (fighters for example) when buying a filter. The flow can mess with their long fins and such.

HTH