Beardies: one million questions!

sharn

Hi everyone, I am going to be getting a bearded dragon and have lots of questions!

I have read the care sheet etc but need some specific help with a few things. The beardie I am going to be getting is going to be 12 weeks old and has been 'acclimatised' to sand by the breeder so is not eating it for when I get it. The tank is going to be around 100 x 40 x 40 for now.

1: Sand. I like the black exo terra desert stuff. Can I use this or will it heat up too much near the basking point? My other option is red sand by aqua one.

2: Lighting. I have the option of having either A: a basking lamp (what wattage?) and UVA/B fluro tube or B: a fan heater (made by reptile one, this has a UVA/B light in it also). If I need to get a reptile tube should I get a 2, 5 or 10?

3: Nightime heating. Should I use either a nightime lamp/infared (what wattage?) or a heat rock or a heat mat? Should I run a heat rock in the tank permanently?

4: Basking point. I have a resin desert rock lump thing I will be using. I will be setting up my heat source above the rock quite some time before I get the beardie to check it is at the right heat.

5: Feeding. I think I have got this sorted. It is currently eating mesclun salad, carrots, apple etc and mealworms. I will be getting crickets aswell, and most of the other foods from the info page to rotate. I am going to be getting some calcium/vitamin powder too.

I think thats it for now :lol:

If your going to use sand then black should be ok, pretty sure ive seen someone else use it. I sit on the fence whether sand is ok or not though. Id probably use it/some if doing a large display tank, otherwise i just use artificial grass as its safe and easy to clean.

Reptile fluro as long as the setup or atleast half (down basking end)

Basking light, i just use a 40-60watt spotlight from bunnings. Probably best on a thermostat but not a must. anything over 60watt prob best to have wire cage around bulb so it doesnt get burns.

no night time heat as long as temps above 15C. if below, then can use emitter or heat mat. Both best on thermostats but once again not a must.

thats just me, the care sheet on here will probably answer most of ya q's :D

For the sand topic exo terra sand is ok as its collected from desserts so the particles are rounded not jagged there for do not interlock and clump as much as man made stuff. For a young beardie like that though i would not use sand as they tend to like to taste things when he gets bigger sure but it is still a risk

Thanks guys!

LA- she told me shes been somehow getting them used to it, so that they are not eating it? Maybe some lizard psychology? :lol:

ID- Thats a good idea using just a bit of sand, maybe I can use fake grass and cut holes in it to put sand and my plants in. I will get a fluro for the basking end, and will trial the tank when its setup to see how cold it gets overnight.

HJ- good to know the exoterra stuff is ok. Might change the enclosure to full sand later down the track.