Blue Tongues and Waterdragons in Auckland

Person

In Auckland are you allowed to keep Blue tounged skinks and Water dragons? I know they used to be common but now i haven't seen any for sale lately are they now declared pests?

Also do you need a permit for Rainbow skinks? People say they are now classified as pests?

In Auckland are you allowed to keep Blue tounged skinks and Water dragons? I know they used to be common but now i haven't seen any for sale lately are they now declared pests?

Also do you need a permit for Rainbow skinks? People say they are now classified as pests?

waterdragons ok in auckland...

The following is from Auckland Regional Council Biosecurity in regard to Blue Tongue Skinks:

The ARC rules do not allow for sale of this species anywhere, whether within or outside the Auckland region, except by way of an exemption granted under the Biosecurity Act. Exemptions are normally granted on an individual basis, to cover specific instances where the action proposed in the exemption application does not materially affect the principle of the Regional Pest Management Strategy. It is very unlikely that Council would approve the general sale of blue tongued skinks outside of the Auckland region, due to risk of reintroduction and it would also be encouraging trade in a pest. Council might consider the one-way transfer of a skink or skinks out of the region, provided that this was a terminal activity, ie not to be repeated.

It must be noted that the breeding of blue tongued skinks is also banned in the Auckland region, so allowing sale would make breeding quasi-legal and in any event likely to be undertaken. The only permissible activity in the Auckland region re this species is the keeping of existing pets for the term of their natural life. It would be appreciated if you could make this point known to your members.